Don't forget: the au pair contract, insurance etc.

This page will provide you with information on ensuring your safety abroad.

The au pair contract

You should discuss your mutual expectations together with your future host family prior to departure. You should include all points you agree upon in your contract. In Italy, there is no official standard au pair contract. However, you can download the European contract from our site, which you can change according to your requirements.


You can terminate your au pair contract giving two-weeks notice. In serious circumstances, you can terminate your contract with immediate effect.

Health insurance

If you are a citizen of an EU country, and don't intend to stay in Italy more than 3 months, your home country's health insurance covers you for this time period. Contact your local health insurance provider, prior to your departure, for more advice on access to health services in Italy. It is important that you take your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) with you, or apply for one before your departure if you don't already have one. Bear in mind that upon receipt of medical treatment you will be required to pay a co-pay fee, known in Italy as the "ticket".

If you are an EU citizen wishing to stay in Italy for longer than 3 months, you should still take your EHIC with you, but also find out what options you have for accessing health care in Italy; for example whether or not you can register with the Italian National Health System (SSN). To register with SSN, you will need to have registered at the local Italian town hall (anagrafe), and also have a tax identification number (codice fiscale). Additionally your host family must pay the standard registration fee on your behalf. For more information your host family should get in contact with their local health authority (ASL).

For both citizens of non-EU countries and for those who are unable to register with SSN, individual health insurance should be taken out through a private health insurance company prior to your arrival in Italy. Registration fees for SSN, or the cost of taking out private health insurance, should be beared entirely by the host family.

Car driving and driving licence

You should clarify beforehand if your host family expects you to drive their car. Should this be the case, you ought to find out if your driving licence is valid in your host country. It is possible that you will have to apply for an international driving licence. What happens in case of damage? Who bears the costs? You should talk this over and jot down everything.

Be on the safe side

  • We strongly recommend you to discuss all important details concerning your au pair stay with your future host parents well in advance. On the following page you will find the most important questions you should ask your host family.

  • Have you already spoken with your host family to find out how well you get along with each other? Click on our Security section for more tips concerning your own safety. 
Codice fiscale

This tax number is necessary to:

  • be employed in the context of a regular employer-employee relationship
  • be covered by the Servizio Sanitario Nazionale within the framework of private insurance
  • open a bank account

You must apply for your Codice fiscale at your local tax office (Ufficio provinciale delle imposte). For this purpose, you must provide the following documents:

  • your valid residence permit (permesso di soggiorno)
  • a copy of your ID-card/passport

Useful links

We are continually researching and updating our host country information, but cannot guarantee that all material provided is complete and correct. If you notice gaps or inaccuracies, we would like to hear from you.

Log in to AuPairWorld


Security question

If you forget your password, you must answer a security question correctly. Only then will it be possible to reset your password and regain access to your profile. Please select a question now and enter an answer for it.