Au pair in America (USA)

Answers to all the important questions of au pairs and host families regarding requirements and conditions of the au pair stay in the USA. Use these resources to check your eligibility and be perfectly prepared for an American au pair stay.

The Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco

Spend a year in the USA and discover all the great things this fascinating country has to offer. An au pair stay makes it possible. Host families in the USA benefit from flexible help with childcare and cultural exchange taking place day by day in their homes.

Sound interesting? Then check and see if you fulfil the eligibility requirements for au pairs and host families in the USA that are outlined below.

Grafik Au-pair

Requirements for au pairs

Here's what you need to be an au pair in the USA:

  • You are between 18 and 26 years old.
  • You are unmarried and have no children.
  • You speak and understand English well.
  • You can pay the costs for an officially approved au pair agency in the USA.
  • You have completed secondary school or vocational training.
  • You have experience with childcare.*
  • You would like to live for at least 12 months with a host family, help take care of their children and get to know American culture.

*If your host family has children under the age of 2, then you have to be able to prove that you have at least 200 hours experience in care for children of this age group.

You fulfil all the requirements? Then you can move ahead with your plans for an au pair stay in the USA!

You don't fulfil all the requirements? Then it will not be possible for you to go the USA as an au pair. But don't give up. There are lots of other countries to consider. Check now in which countries you can become an au pair.


Grafik Familie

Requirements for host families

Here's what you need to be a host family in the USA:

  • You have at least one child under the age of 18 living in your household.
  • You can provide your au pair with a separate room of her/his own and three meals per day.
  • Your au pair should help with childcare and light housework.
  • You are prepared to host an au pair for at least 12 months.
  • You are a US citizen or have a valid residence permit for the USA
  • You speak English in your daily life.
  • You can afford the costs that come with an au pair stay.*

* Host families in the USA pay a progamme fee of 6,000 to 8,000 US dollars to the sponsoring agency. In addition to their weekly pocket money, au pairs also receive an educational stipend of 500 US dollars from the family.

You fulfil all the requirements? Then you can move ahead with hosting an au pair! In your EasyFind you'll find au pairs who fit to your search criteria.
Please note that you will have to contact one of the officially recognised sponsoring agencies in the USA to arrange the au pair stay. Here is a list of recognised agencies.

You don't fulfil all the requirements? Then unfortunately you cannot use AuPairWorld for your search.

Au pairs should keep in mind that all au pair stays in the USA must be organised through an officially recognised agency with the J-1 visa for au pairing.

Logo Cultural Care

AuPairWorld has teamed up with Cultural Care, America's largest and most experienced au pair sponsor organization.

Ready for the next step?

We'll be happy to help you on your way. 

We are continually researching and updating our host country information, but cannot guarantee that all material provided is complete and correct. If you notice gaps or inaccuracies, we would like to hear from you.