Costs for the host family
|At AuPairWorld there is no placement fee. Premium Membership is nonetheless necessary for host families to establish personal contact with au pairs.
|The amount of pocket money paid to the au pair is fixed per country.
|During the au pair stay the household budget will increase due to the addition of another adult into the family. The host family must supply the au pair with meals and should also expect an increase in the cost of household bills (water, electricity, etc.)
|So that the au pair can accompany the children of the host family to school or to other activities, the host family must ensure their mobility and subsequent costs (tickets for public transport, fuel for the car, a bike etc.)
|In the majority of host countries, the host family must ensure that the au pair is insured for the full duration of their stay. Usually the family must pay the entirety of the insurance fee.
- Health insurance : if the au pair's cover is not valid in the host country, the host family must subscribe them to a private health insurance
- Motor insurance : if the au pair has to drive the family car, the family must contact their motor insurer to ask to include the au pair on their insurance policy
|In certain countries the host family is responsible for paying a part of the cost of the au pair's language course. In other countries, they advise that the family pays the full amount.
|In most countries, the payment of the cost of the au pair's journey is not regulated. We advise, in all cases, that the host family pays for the return journey of the au pair, if they are satisfied with their au pair.
|The au pair pays for their own private communication. The host family can provide their au pair with a mobile phone if they wish to. In this case the au pair and family discuss with one another the method of its use.
Further useful information
- In certain countries and under certain conditions financial support is offered to the host family by the government. It can take the form of a tax reduction (in Germany) or a grant (in New Zealand).
Costs for the au pair
|At AuPairWorld there is no placement fee. Au pairs can use the full service of AuPairWorld free of charge. Host families, on their part, must pay a Premium Membership to establish personal contact with au pairs.
|The au pair pays the costs of their journey to the host family, whether that's by plane, train or car. We advise, however, that the host family pays in part or for all of the return journey.
|In most countries, the au pair must pay for their language course. The costs vary widely depending of the number of hours of the course, the host region and the quality of the establishment. To give a general idea, a course of six hours per week costs 100 to 200 euros per month.
|In the majority of host countries, the host family must ensure that their au pair is covered for the full duration of their stay. In certain countries, the au pair must be responsbile for the insurance fees. The best thing to do is to enquire about the legal arrangements in your host country.
- Health insurance: if the au pair's cover is not valid in the host country, they can ask their family to contribute towards their necessary private healthcare subscription.
- Travel insurance: the au pair can take out this insurance to prevent the risk of theft or loss of their baggage or medical repatriation.
|The au pair submits the visa application and must pay the related costs of obtaining the visa/ residence permit. The costs generally vary between 60 and 150 euros depending on the country. Other administrative fees may also be requested.
|Activities and going out
|The au pair should keep aside some of their pocket money to go out, discover the neighbouring region or carry out their hobbies.
|The au pair pays for their own personal communication in the host country. If they use the telephone of the host family or a phone for their own use, they should discuss the use of it with the family.
Cost of the au pair stay - Frequently Asked Questions
- My au pair and I have arranged that the travel costs are to be paid by herself. However I am still not sure. Is that common practise or do we, as a host family, have to pay the travel costs of our au pair?
- I registered on your website, because I intend to go abroad as an au pair this year. However, I was not able to find out how much I would have to pay for the au pair placement. Can you help me?