Au pair in England (UK)
Answers to all the important questions of au pairs and host families regarding requirements and conditions of the au pair stay in England, Scotland, North Ireland and Wales. Use these resources to research, plan and be perfectly prepared for a UK au pair stay.
For au pairs in Great Britain, there's such a lot to discover: red double-decker buses in London, that perfect cup of English tea, fish and chips at the seaside, the rolling hills of Wales! And for UK host families, there are all the benefits of another helping hand in the family plus cultural exchange at home!
Sound good? Then take a look at all the information presented below and plan a great experience.
Sign the Youth Visa Petition at change.org and help to keep UK-EU youth exchange open for au pairing after Brexit. Sign now and join 50,000+ supporters of a new Youth Visa for the future of au pairing in the UK.
For a detailed look at the effects of Brexit on au pairing in the UK, see our Blog article "Au pair in the UK: The new post-Brexit situation in 2021".
Requirements for au pairs
Here's what you need to become an au pair in the United Kingdom:
- You are between 18 and 30 years old.
- You are not married and have no children.
- You have a good knowledge of English and would like to improve your skills.
- You are entitled to apply for a visa.
- You are, depending on the visa, able to pay 244 - 516 GBP for the visa application.
- You can afford the travel costs.
- You have enough money to support yourself without help from public funds, at least 1.890 GBP.
- You would like to work for up to 24 months in the UK as an au pair.
- If you come from Hong Kong, South Korea or Taiwan der Republik Korea oder Taiwan, you need to have a sponsor number.
You fulfil all the requirements? Then you're set to go. Great Britain awaits you! Check the information on conditions and entry requirements below.
You don't fulfil all the requirements? Then unfortunately you cannot become an au pair in the UK. Our tip: Think about an au pair placement in another great host country. Check now in which countries you can become an au pair.
Requirements for host families
Here's what you need to host a host family in the United KIngdom:
- You have at least one child under 18 living in your household.
- You can provide your au pair with a separate room.
- Your au pair should help with childcare and with light housework.
- You speak English in your daily lives.
- You have a different nationality than your au pair.
You fulfil the requirements? Then you're ready to take the next step. You can find au pairs that fit your search criteria with your EasyFind. Don't forget to check whether your au pair also fulfils the necessary requirements.
You don't fulfil all the requirements? Unfortunately you may not use AuPairWorld for your search.
Further information on au pairing in the UK
Reports from au pairs in the UK:
- Claire as an au pair in London
- Sarah as an au pair in Lancaster
- Ana in small town in the UK
- Spanish au pair in London
Reports from host families in the UK:
Ready for the next step?
We'll be happy to help you on your way.