Au pair in Japan
Au pair in Japan: What are the requirements for au pairs and host families? Here you'll find everything that you need to know as an au pair or a host family to get ready for an au pair stay in Japan.
Getting to know a completely different culture and gaining new experiences as an au pair: With its special culture, Japan has lots to offer: nature, volcanoes, beaches, ocean, big city life and the spectacular cherry blossom season in spring. And families in Japan have the opportunity to experience a different culture and benefit from flexible childcare when they welcome an au pair to their home.
Interested in an au pair stay in Japan? Then check the requirements for au pairs and host families to find out if this could be the right adventure for you.
Requirements for au pairs
Being an au pair in Japan – What are the requirements?
- You are at least 18 and no more than 30 years old.*
- You are unmarried and without children.
- You are a citizen of Argentina, Australia, Austria, Canada, Chile, Czech, Denmark, Estonia, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Lithuania, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, the Republic of Korea, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden, Taiwan or the united kingdom.
- You are planning to live with a host family in Japan for one year maximum.
- You don't have the same nationality as your host family and you are not related.
- You have sufficient funds (2000 Euro) to support yourself during the first days of your stay in Japan and you are able to afford the flight to and from Japan.
- You have taken out a valid insurance before coming to Japan to cover illness and accident during your stay.
* (For some countries the age limit is 25. In exceptional cases, applicants may receive the visa up to the age for 30.) For further information we recommend to get in touch with the responsible Japanese embassy.
You fulfil all the requirements? Perfect, Japan is waiting for you. Use the information below to find out more about entry requirements and the specific conditions for an au pair stay in Japan!
You don't fulfil all the requirements? Then unfortunately you cannot be an au pair in Japan. But don't give up. There are lots of other countries to consider. Check now in which countries you can become an au pair.
Requirements for host families
What do we need to host an au pair in Japan?
- At least one child under 18 lives in your household.
- You can provide your au pair with a separate room of her or his own in your home.
- Your au pair will be expected to stay for a maximum of one year and to help with childcare and light housework.
- You have a different nationality from your au pair and are not related.
You fulfil all the requirements? That's great, you can move ahead. You'll find au pairs that fit your criteria in your EasyFind.
Does your au pair also fulfil all the necessary requirements to come and live with you?
You don't fulfil all the requirements? Then unfortunately you cannot use AuPairWorld for your search.
How do I organise an au pair stay in Japan?
Ready for the next step?
We'll be happy to help you on your way.