Au pair in Canada
What are the requirements for an au pair stay in Canada? Here you'll find everything that you need to know as an au pair or a host family to get ready for an au pair stay in Canada. Use these resources to research, plan and be perfectly prepared for a Canadian au pair stay.
Canada: The world's second largest country has gorgeous national parks and cities that are full of energy and life. And it's a bilingual country with both English and French as official languages. All in all, an excellent choice for au pairs. With the help of an au pair, Canadian host families have great flexible support with childcare and an easier time with household tasks.
Interested in finding out more? Then look below for all the important information on an au pair stay in Canada:
Requirements for au pairs
Become an au pair in Canada - What are the requirements?
- You are between 18 and 30 years old.
- You are not married and have no children.
- You have a basic knowledge of English or French.
- You are a citizen of Australia, Austria, Belgium, Chile, Costa Rica, Croatia, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, France, Germany, Great Britain, Greece, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Japan, Latvia, Lithuania, Mexico*, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, San Marino, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Taiwan, Ukraine*?
- You have sufficient funds (for most countries: 2,500 CAD**) and a return ticket.
- You apply initially for a Working Holiday Maker visa for Canada.
* For au pairs from Mexico and Ukraine: The Youth Mobility Arrangement between Canada and these two countries is not accepting applicants at the moment. We will keep you updated.
** Depending on what country you are from, check the information about the Working Holiday Maker programme regarding how much money you must have to apply.
You fulfil all the requirements? Then you can start to prepare for Canada. Use the information below to find out more about entry requirements and the specific conditions for an au pair stay in Canada.
You don't fulfil all the requirements? Then unfortunately you cannot be an au pair in Canada under the Working Holiday Maker Visa. Our tip: If you don't fulfil the requirements for the Working Holiday Maker Visa, you might be able to apply for the Live-In Caregiver Visa instead. Or think about an au pair stay in another great host country and check now in which countries you can become an au pair.
Requirements for host families
What do we need to host an au pair in Canada?
- At least one child under 18 lives in your household.
- You can provide your au pair with a separate room of her or his own in your home.
- Your au pair will be expected to help with childcare and with light housework.
- You speak English or French in your daily lives and can represent Canadian culture.
- You have a different nationality from your au pair and are not related.
You fulfil all the requirements? That's great, you can move ahead with hosting an au pair. Are you already registered at AuPairWorld? If so, you can use our EasyFind tool for your search.
You don't fulfil all the requirements? Then unfortunately you cannot use AuPairWorld to search for an au pair.
How do I organise an au pair stay in Canada?
Ready for the next step?
We'll be happy to help you on your way.