Driving License

(Also to be found with keywords Driving licence and Driving)

In some countries it is mandatory that the au pair has a driving licence.

Anyway, it is always an advantage if the au pair possesses a driving license. Many tasks within the family -but not all tasks- require driving a car. Of course, the driving license is of little or no use if the au pair does not have the required driving experience.

Tips for host families

If the au pair is required to drive, you need to consider the following:

  • Clarify if the au pair has driving experience. Many au pairs do have a driving licence, but they have never driven a car after their driving test.
  • The driving licence or an international driving permit might only be valid in the host country for a certain time period. Please enquire about the provisions concerning this subject at your local police station and ask if maybe the au pair has to take an additional test.
  • Clarify with your insurance who will bear the damages which might be caused by the au pair.
  • You might want to pay for some driving lessons so that your au pair gets acquainted with the highway code in your country. If the au pair comes from a country where a car is driven on the other side of the road than in your country, it is advisable that the au pair takes driving lessons before they drive your car.

Tips for au pairs

As an au pair you should enquire early enough if your driving licence is also valid in your host country or if you can get an international driving permit. Please ask the competent authorities.

Au pairs in America (USA)

If you would like to work as an au pair in America (namely in the USA), you should in any case have a driving licence and sufficient driving experience. When you apply to one of the authorized au pair agencies in the USA, you will be asked if you have an entry in the central index of traffic offenders. Therefore, you should drive carefully and not risk any complaints about your driving style.


Log in to AuPairWorld

Not yet registered?
Registration is quick and free

Register as an au pair
Register as a host family
Already have an account?
Click here to login