Au pair in Iceland
For au pairs headed to Iceland or for host families in the country, you can find everything you need to know to get ready for an au pair stay in Iceland on these pages. Use these resources to research, plan and be perfectly prepared for a Icelandic au pair stay.
Did you know... 5 percent of Iceland's population report having seen elves. Just one of many magical aspects of a very special country. In addition to glaciers, volcanoes and waterfalls, Iceland has all sorts of other natural wonders and a dynamic capital city in Rekyavik. Host families in Iceland get all the benefits that come with extra help for daily childcare and household chores plus the special experience of intercultural sharing in the family.
Interested? Then you can get started here by checking the requirements for au pairs and host families.
Requirements for au pairs
Here's what you need to become an au pair in Iceland:
- You are between 18 and 25 years old.
- You have knowledge of English or Icelandic.
- You are unmarried and have no children.
- You can afford the trip to Iceland.
- You are interested in Icelandic culture.
- You are not related to your host family.
- You fulfil the requirements for an au pair residence permit (for EEA states* only if the stay will be longer than 3 months).
*The EEA states include all EU states plus Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway (without Switzerland).
You fulfil all the requirements? Terrific, Iceland is waiting. Use the information below to find out more about entry requirements and the specific conditions for an au pair stay in Iceland.
You don't fulfil all the requirements? Then unfortunately you cannot be an au pair in Iceland. But don't give up. There are lots of other countries to consider. Check now in which countries you can become an au pair.
Requirements for host families
Here's what you need to host an au pair in Iceland:
- You have at least one child under the age of 18 living in your household.
- At least one parent is a citizen of Iceland or has a permanent residence permit.
- You speak Icelandic and English so that communication with the au pair is assured.
- You can provide your au pair with an individual room.
- You would like to have an au pair join your family on a temporary basis to help with childcare and light household tasks.
- You are not related to the au pair.
- You will facilitate your au pair's attendance at a language course.
- You can afford the expenses associated with an au pair stay and the higher household costs.
You fulfil all the requirements? That's great, you can move ahead. You'll find au pairs that fit your criteria in your EasyFind. Remember to check if your au pair also fulfils the necessary requirements to come to you.
You don't fulfil all the requirements? Then unfortunately you cannot use AuPairWorld for your search.
Further information on an au pair stay in Iceland
Check other au pair experiences in Iceland:
Ready for the next step?
We'll be happy to help you on your way.