Don't forget: the au pair contract, insurance etc.

On this page, you will find some important information concerning the topics insurance, contract and safety relating to the programme "stagiaire aide familial étranger".

The au pair contract

Your contract includes your and your host family's rights and duties. You need to sign it together with your host parents before you leave your own country.

Should you be a citizen of a non-EU country, you will furthermore need to have your au pair contract validated by the DIRECCTE. In this case, we recommend you to follow the corresponding information on our page Information for au pairs from non-EU countries step by step.

Termination of contract
The French contract is signed for the entire duration of the au pair placement. However, it is possible to terminate the contract before the due date. According to the European Agreement on the Au Pair Placement, both contracting parties should observe a two weeks' notice period. This will give you sufficient time to search for a new host family or organize your trip back home. In serious cases, it is possible to terminate the contract with immediate effect. Please note: Should you be an au pair from outside the EU, you will need to hand in a new set of documents to the DIRECCTE of your new host family, should you wish to change host families in France. 

Health insurance and Social Security

Au pairs in France must be covered by social insurance in case of illness, work accident or maternity. Therefore, your host family needs to register you with their local CPAM and URSSAF as a "stagiaire aide familial étranger" within 8 days upon your arrival. Your host parents will furthermore pay your contributions. Upon registration, you will obtain your Social Security number which will entitle you to receive Social Security benefits.

General liability insurance

It is a good idea for your host parents to extend their liability insurance to you as their au pair. Alternatively, your host parents can take out an individual insurance for you. Read our interview with an expert in this particular field to find out more about insurances in France.

Driving and driving licence

You should discuss with your host family beforehand if you are expected to drive. Should this be the case, you should find out whether your driving licence is valid in your host country. It is possible that you will have to apply for an international driving licence. You can find out more with regard to this topic on the website of the French Road Safety Authority. It is also important to clarify the following questions: What happens in the event of damage? Who pays for the damage? You should discuss these matters with your host family in good time. Often it is possible to extend the family's insurance to cover the au pair.


  • It is best to discuss all important details concerning your au pair stay with your future host parents well in advance. On the following page you will find some useful interview questions.
  • Have you already spoken to your host family on the phone to find out if you get along well with each other? Find out what else you can do for your safety in our Security section.
  • Having a good knowledge of the language spoken in your host country enables you to express your wants and needs from the start. Especially in case of illness, having some adequate vocabulary will certainly help you.

Useful links:

URSSAF: declaration and payment of contributions by host families
DIRECCTE: list of regional DIRECCTE units in France

We are continually researching and updating our host country information, but cannot guarantee that all material provided is complete and correct. If you notice gaps or inaccuracies, we would like to hear from you.

Log in to AuPairWorld


Security question

If you forget your password, you must answer a security question correctly. Only then will it be possible to reset your password and regain access to your profile. Please select a question now and enter an answer for it.