Don't forget: the au pair contract, insurance etc.

Here you will find more information about insurance, contract, safety and similar topics.

The au pair contract

You and your host family have to sign the official Belgian au pair contract. If you are a non-EU-citizen, your host family needs to hand in a signed copy of the au pair contract to the competent regional immigration services so as to apply for a work permit and an employment authorisation. Consult our page on how to become an au pair in Belgium to find out more.

Contract termination

The au pair contract remains valid for the whole period of your au pair stay. However, you are allowed to end the contract before it expires if you and your host family do not get along for example. We recommend a period of notice of 14 days. This allows both the au pair and the host family to find a replacement and organise the return trip. The au pair contract can also be terminated immediately without any period of notice on serious grounds.

Health insurance

Are you an EU citizen? Turn to your own national health service and insurance company first. You will most probably be covered during your stay in Belgium. You will however need a European health insurance card that you will be asked to show to your attending physician in Belgium. Please note though that even if you remain covered by your own insurance company, your host family will still have to subscribe to an additional insurance for you. The insurance should cover illness, hospitalisation and accidents. It is also compulsory for them to insure you for repatriation. 

Are you a non-EU citizen? Check whether your current health insurance remains valid in Belgium. If not, you will have to subscribe to a health insurance with a private insurance company. Besides, it is compulsory for host families in Belgium to provide additional insurance for you throughout the entire stay. The insurance should cover illness, hospitalisation and accidents. It is also compulsory to take out an insurance to cover potential repatriation costs.  

Car driving and driving licence

As an au pair, you will probably be expected to drive the car of your host family. You should therefore have sufficient driving experience. Issues of insurance and liability should thus be clarified in advance. Should any damages result from an accident, it should be clear beforehand who will have to bear the costs.

In Belgium, you are allowed to drive with an international or European driving licence or with a recognised foreign driving licence

Be on the safe side:

  • It is best to discuss all important details concerning your au pair stay with your future host parents well in advance. On the following page you will find some useful interview questions.
  • Have you already spoken to your host family on the phone to find out if you get along well with each other? Find out what else you can do for your safety in our Security section.
  • Having a good knowledge of the language spoken in your host country enables you to express your wants and needs from the start. Especially in case of illness, having some adequate vocabulary will certainly help you.

We are continually researching and updating our host country information, but cannot guarantee that all material provided is complete and correct. If you notice gaps or inaccuracies, we would like to hear from you.

Log in to AuPairWorld


Security question

If you forget your password, you must answer a security question correctly. Only then will it be possible to reset your password and regain access to your profile. Please select a question now and enter an answer for it.