How to host an au pair from outside the EU, EFTA or EEA

If your au pair is not a citizen of an EU, EFTA or EEA state, they need, among other things, a residence permit to become an au pair in Norway. This page provides you with information on what your au pair needs to take care of and how you can help.

Please click here if your au pair is a citizen of the EU, EFTA or EEA.

Should your au pair come from AustraliaNew Zealand or Canada, they may apply for a Working Holiday visa to become an au pair in Norway.

Register as a family

How to host an au pair in Norway – step by step

Step 1: Your au pair needs a valid passport

An au pair from outside the EU, EFTA or EEA may neither enter Norway nor apply for a residence permit if they do not possess a valid passport. Therefore, you should ask your au pair whether their passport is still valid.

Step 2: Send the signed au pair contract to your au pair

In order to apply for the residence permit (step 3), your au pair needs a valid au pair contract. The contract must be completed and signed by both you and your au pair. It also needs to include the au pair's duties. Each of you should keep one signed copy.

Step 3: The au pair applies for the residence or work permit

Your au pair needs a residence permit to become an au pair in Norway. The corresponding application form includes the application for the work permit. In addition to the application form, your au pair needs to hand in the following documents:

  • a valid passport
  • the standard contract for au pairs signed by both you and your au pair
  • proof of your nationality as a host family (for instance, copies of your passports)
  • a copy of the au pair's passport (should they already be in Norway, their passport or corresponding document should contain the entry date.)
  • a Norwegian or English translation of all documents
  • a passport photo which complies with certain criteria

In addition, the au pair needs to pay a fee.

In addition to the above mentioned documents, the au pair may be required to hand in the following documents:

  • if your au pair applies for a residence permit from outside their home country: proof that they have been a legal resident of the corresponding country for the past six months
  • should you be a single parent: a document which proves to what extent (how much time) you are responsible for your child or children
  • if you apply on behalf of your au pair: a corresponding written authorisation from them

Should your au pair add copies of the above mentioned documents to their application, they will need to present the originals when handing in the application.

How au pairs hand in their application for a residence permit:

Outside of Norway, au pairs may hand in their application to a Norwegian embassy or consulate. This can either be in their home country or the country in which they have been a legal resident for the past six months. In some countries, applications may also be handed in at the Swedish or Danish embassy.

If your au pair is currently in Norway, they may possibly hand in the application on the spot

If your au pair hands in the application in Norway or via a Norwegian embassy, they should do so online. During the online registration, the au pair also arranges an appointment with the police or an embassy to hand in their passport and other necessary documents.

If the au pair applies for their residence permit through a Swedish or Danish embassy, they need to use the written application form. The au pair also needs to contact the embassy to arrange an appointment for handing in their passport and other necessary documents. 

Au pairs in Norway may stay in the country for a maximum of two years. However, the residence permit is only issued for the duration of employment. During this period, your au pair may leave and enter Norway as often as desired.

Is your au pair a citizen of the Philippines? In this case, they need a visa and probably more documents to become an au pair in Norway. Please contact the Norwegian embassy in the Philippines or the Philippine embassy in Norway for more information.

Step 4: Your au pair needs a residence card

After the au pair's application for the residence permit has been approved, they receive a letter asking them to take care of the so-called residence card. It proves that the au pair is a legal resident in Norway. As soon as the au pair has received this letter, they must apply to the Norwegian police who will take their fingerprints and photo. Approximately 10 days later, the au pair will receive the residence card. 

Step 5: Arrange an appointment at the doctors for your au pair

According to Norwegian law, au pairs from outside the EU, EFTA and EEA must take a tuberculosis test. Host families should arrange an appointment within the first two days of their au pairs' arrival, as the test should be carried out before the au pair starts taking care of the children.

Au pairs from the USA, Canada, New Zealand, Australia or Japan do not need to take a tuberculosis test.

We are continually researching and updating our host country information, but cannot guarantee that all material provided is complete and correct. If you notice gaps or inaccuracies, we would like to hear from you.

Log in to AuPairWorld


Security question

If you forget your password, you must answer a security question correctly. Only then will it be possible to reset your password and regain access to your profile. Please select a question now and enter an answer for it.