How to host an au pair from the EU

Information on entry requirements for EU au pairs in Ireland can be found here.

The Quick Check for au pairs tells you which criteria your au pair needs to meet to be able to work for you.

Is your au pair not an EU or EFTA citizen? In this case, different rules apply.

Register as a family

EU nationals do not need to register with the local immigration office and do not need a residence permit to live in Ireland.

However, we strongly advise au pairs to apply for a PPS Number. It will help your au pair access the public health services in Ireland, for instance. Please note that he/she must be already living in Ireland in order to apply for a PPS Number.

How to apply for a PPS Number?

The Department of Social Protection will issue a PPS Number for your au pair, please contact the Social Welfare Local Office for more detailed information.

When applying for a PPS Number, your au pair will need to provide the following documents:

  • His/her passport or national identity card
  • Evidence of your address. Please write a short letter confirming that the au pair is presently living with you. He/she may also be asked to attach a household bill (telephone, gas, etc.) in your name.

Should you have any further questions, please consult the Citizens Information page on the Personal Public Service Number.

We are continually researching and updating our host country information, but cannot guarantee that all material provided is complete and correct. If you notice gaps or inaccuracies, we would like to hear from you.

Log in to AuPairWorld


Security question

If you forget your password, you must answer a security question correctly. Only then will it be possible to reset your password and regain access to your profile. Please select a question now and enter an answer for it.