Au pair in Austria
How to host an au pair from the EU

Which entry regulations apply to your au pair? Which documents should your EU au pair apply for? Here, you will find important information about au pair regulations for EU nationals in Austria.

Register as a family

Young persons from EU countries may become au pairs in Austria up to the age of 30 years.

If your au pair is from outside the EU or from Croatia, please switch to the following information page for non-EU citizens.

Step 1: Make sure that your au pair holds a valid passport or identity card

EU citizens (except for Croatia) can enter Austria on a valid passport or identity card. Au pairs from EU countries neither need a work permit nor a residence permit.

Step 2: Apply for a resident's registration document

Au pairs who are EU nationals or nationals of Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland do not need a residence permit. Should their stay, however, be longer than 3 months, they need to obtain a resident's registration document from your local Aufenthaltsbehörde, the Immigration, Citizenship and Registry Office in Austria.

Step 3: Register your au pair with the Austrian legal social insurance

A registration with the Austrian legal social insurance (according to the General Social Insurance Act – ASVG) is required for the au pair employment. Make sure that you have taken this issue into consideration.

You can find more information on our page: Contract, insurance, driving licence & Co.

We are continually researching and updating our host country information, but cannot guarantee that all material provided is complete and correct. If you notice gaps or inaccuracies, we would like to hear from you.

Log in to AuPairWorld


Security question

If you forget your password, you must answer a security question correctly. Only then will it be possible to reset your password and regain access to your profile. Please select a question now and enter an answer for it.