Visa and entry requirements for au pairs in Denmark

Which visa do au pairs need for Denmark? What requirements do they need to fulfill and how do they apply for it? All the important information for managing a visa and entry requirements in Denmark are presented here.

Junge Frau mit Koffer am Flughafen

There are different requirements for EU citizens and non-EU citizens. 

EU: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain and Sweden.

EFTA: Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland

Non-EU: Citizens of all other countries

Citizens of Scandinavian countries or of EU/EAA countries

Citizens of the Scandinavian countries (Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden) and of EU/EAA countries do not need a working permit or a visa to be an au pair in Denmark. They‘re allowed  to work and travel in Denmark but need to obtain proof of residence from the regional state administration when they have a fixed address in Denmark.


Au Pair Programme in Denmark

The Danish government offers two possibilities to non-EU au pairs who wish to stay for a limited period of time in Denmark. They can enter the country either via the Working Holiday Programme or the Au Pair Programme . 

Au Pair Programme

Non-EU citizens have to apply for a residence permit at the Danish Immigration Service.

Before entering Denmark, au pairs need to apply for their residence permit at a Danish diplomatic mission (which can be either an embassy or a consulate) in their own country. The application will be transmitted to the Danish Immigration Service. The following requirements must be met to obtain a residence permit:

  • The au pair has to be between 18 and 29 years old.
  • The au pair needs to be able to speak Danish or alternatively must be able to speak either Swedish, Norwegian, English or German.
  • A permit of residence will only be issued if the au pair has not received a residence permit previously.
  • If the au pair has been living in another country for the previous 3 months or longer, then he/she can also apply for the permit of residence at a Danish diplomatic mission in this country.
  • The au pair contract, signed by au pair and host family, needs to be included in the application.
  • The residence permit is issued for a period of one year and can be extended for an additional six months. The maximum length of stay is 18 months.

The following documents are also necessary for the au pair residence permit application:

  • To get started, the online application needs to be filled out and a fee of  4,040 DKK has to be paid. 
  • A copy of the au pair's complete passport including front and back covers must be submitted.
  • Copies of the au pair's school certificates or other proof of education must be provided.
  • A copy of the au pair's birth certificate must also be submitted.

Extension of an existing residence permit:

The au pair may continue to work as before while the Immigration Service reviews the extension application. The au pair must continue to work for the same host family under the same contract conditions as previously agreed. It is not allowed to change the contract. The original au pair contract that was agreed between the host family and the au pair needs to be extended and included with the application for an extended residence permit. Without permission from the Danish Immigration Service, an au pair cannot begin to work for a new host family.

Please note: Au pairs who work illegally in Denmark may be subject to imprisonment or being expelled from the country. Host families who employ an au pair illegally also risk imprisonment.

Au pair has to register at the Central Office of Registration (CPR Office) within 5 days after arrival at the latest.


Working Holiday Programme in Denmark

The following requirements for the Working Holiday Program apply to citizens of Argentina, Australia, Canada, Chile, Japan, New Zealand and South Korea:

  • Age: between 18 and 30 at the time of the application
  • The purpose of the stay in Denmark is to make holidays
  • The applicant cannot be accompanied by children
  • The applicant must have a valid passort
  • The applicant needs either to have a return flight ticket or sufficient financial resources to purchase one.


Documents to apply for a Working Holiday Programme in Denmark
  • The au pair needs to fill out the online application for the Working Holiday Visa
  • A copy of the complete passport including front and back covers must be submitted.
  • A bank account statement or another proof of financial resources.
  • A return flight ticket or proof of sufficient financial resources to purchase one.
  • Proof of healthcare insurance coverage for the entire period of stay in Denmark. 


Other conditions

Working permits are issued for a maximum of one year and cannot be extended.

Working Holiday Makers are not allowed to work longer than 6 months in one position or to take permanent positions.

The requirements may vary for different countries. On the official homepage newtodenmark information is provided for the requirements for all countries.


Video: How to apply for an au pair visa in Denmark

Ann is originally from Kenya and has been an au pair in Denmark for a while now. She will show you step by step what you need to get a visa.

How to apply for an au pair visa in Denmark | AuPairWorld
We are continually researching and updating our host country information, but cannot guarantee that all material provided is complete and correct. If you notice gaps or inaccuracies, we would like to hear from you.