How to host an au pair from the EU

Au pairs from EU member states do not need a visa. They only need to present their valid ID card or passport upon entry in Italy.

Register as a family

Step 1: Au pairs ensure they have a valid passport or ID-card

As an EU citizen, au pairs only need a valid identity card to enter Italy. Alternatively, they can provide their valid passport.

Is your au pair not an EU or EFTA citizen? Then different rules apply. 

Step 2: Submit the "host declaration" (dichiarazione di ospitalità)

In the first 48 hours following the au pair's arrival in Italy, the host family is required to submit a "host declaration" to the police station. This declares that your au pair will be living with your family for the duration of their stay.

Step 3: Registering at the town hall (anagrafe)

If your au pair wishes to stay in Italy for longer than 3 months then they must apply for the right to reside at your nearest town hall. Your au pair will be required to show proof of sufficient financial means to support themself, as well as having valid health insurance. Once the application has been approved, your au pair will receive a residency certificate, stating their name and your address. 

Step 4: Applying for a Tax ID Number (codice fiscale)

The Italian codice fiscale is a combination of letters and numbers, which contains confidential information (Name, Surname, Sex, Date and place of birth) and is used to identify all citizens.

If au pairs intend to stay in Italy for more than 3 months, they must apply for a codice fiscale at the tax office (Agenzia delle Entrate). An ID-card or passport (both the original and a photocopy) and a registration certificate (iscrizione anagrafica) are required for this. Au pairs will be given a copy of their codice fiscale there and then, and their health insurance card (tesserino sanitario) will be sent in the post.

Step 5: Registering with the national health service (SSN - Servizio Sanitario Nazionale)

If au pairs intend to stay in Italy for more than 3 months, they must register with the national health service (SSN - Servizio Sanitario Nazionale). As an alternative, au pairs can have a health insurance they have taken out either in Italy or in their home country covering them during their stay in Italy.

To register with the national health service, au pairs must simply go to the local health authority of the host family (ASL - Azienda Sanitaria Localewhen in Italy. They will need their ID-card or passport, their registration certificate (iscrizione anagrafica) or self certification of their address in Italy (autocertificazione), and their Tax ID Number (codice fiscale).

We are continually researching and updating our host country information, but cannot guarantee that all material provided is complete and correct. If you notice gaps or inaccuracies, we would like to hear from you.

Log in to AuPairWorld


Security question

If you forget your password, you must answer a security question correctly. Only then will it be possible to reset your password and regain access to your profile. Please select a question now and enter an answer for it.