Information for au pairs from non-EU countries

Are you a non-EU citizen? Do you fulfil all the necessary requirements in the Quick Check? Follow our step-by-step guide below, to find out what needs to be done to become an au pair in Italy.

Are you an EU or EFTA citizen? In this case, different rules apply. Click here for more information.

Are you a New Zealander, an Australian or a Canadian citizen? Have a read of the information at the bottom of this page.  

For au pairs staying 3 months or less - Apply for a tourist visa

Step 1: Apply for a tourist visa

If your stay in Italy does not exceed 90 days, you can enter Italy as a tourist. Find out if you need to apply for a tourist visa, and if so which documents you require, by looking at the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs' website. For citizens of some countries, you might only require your passport to enter Italy. Even if you don't require a visa to enter Italy, you will require insurance for the duration of your stay, to cover the costs of any possible hospitalisation or repatriation. In addition you should ask your host family to find out from their local territorial health unit (ASL) whether or not you can register with the Italian National Health Service (SSN).  

Step 2: Submit the "host declaration"

Within 48 hours of your arrival in Italy, you and your host family should go to the nearest police station to submit your "host declaration"(dichiarazione di ospitalità), which declares that you will be living with the family for the duration of your stay .  

For au pairs staying for more than 3 months -  Apply for a student visa

Important note: If you come from a non EU country and you want to stay in Italy for longer than 3 months you could try to enter the country as a student. In order to get a student visa you must join an Italian course for at least 20 hours per week. We strongly advise you to clarify in advance with your host family how many hours a week you are expected to work as it may be difficult for you to coordinate your working hours with your course schedule. Keep in mind that the immigration officials at the point of entry always have the right to refuse entry should they believe that the student is actually intending to work full time.

Step 1: Sign up to a course at an accredited language school

First of all you must sign up to an Italian language course. Your host family will help you find the course best suited to you. Make sure to check that the establishment offering the course is on the list of approved schools which are recognised when applying for a student visa. In addition, the language course should be a minimum 20 hours per week.  

Step 2: Submit your visa application

Take the following documents to your local Italian embassy or consulate:  

  • your certificate of enrolment on an Italian language course (issued by the language school on receipt of the total course fees)
  • your passport
  • proof of accommodation (a "host declaration" from your host family stating that you will be living with them for the duration of your stay)
  • a statement of your health insurance
  • proof of sufficient means to support yourself throughout your stay
  • proof of purchase, or the means to purchase flights to and from Italy

Make sure to check with your local Italian embassy or consulate beforehand that no other documents are required, as your application will not be accepted until all the required documents are submitted.   

Warning! If your visa application is refused, it may be a case that the language school doesn't refund you the full amount paid when enrolling on the course, due to administrative costs.

Step 3: Apply for your residence permit

Within 8 days of arriving in Italy, you (accompanied by your host family) should go to one of the following offices to submit your application for a residence permit:  

  • the municipality (Comune)
  • the Patronato
  • the Sportello Unico per l'immigrazione within your host family's prefecture
  • the post office (to fill in the Kit form)

For your residence permit you will require the following:  

  • the application form
  • your valid passport and entry visa
  • a copy of your passport and visa
  • 4 identical and recent passport sized photos
  • a revenue stamp worth €16

Please consult the National Social Security Institute's website (INPS) for more information on the exact costs, and steps you are required to take.  

Are you from Australia, Canada or New Zealand?

If you are a New Zealander, an Australian or a Canadian citizen, you can legally enter Italy with a Working Holiday Visa. We recommend that you contact your local Italian embassy or consulate for more information, and before applying for this visa.  

Useful links:

We are continually researching and updating our host country information, but cannot guarantee that all material provided is complete and correct. If you notice gaps or inaccuracies, we would like to hear from you.

Log in to AuPairWorld


Security question

If you forget your password, you must answer a security question correctly. Only then will it be possible to reset your password and regain access to your profile. Please select a question now and enter an answer for it.