The Work and Holiday Visa (Subclass 462)

Do you meet all the necessary requirements to become an au pair in Australia on the Work and Holiday visa (subclass 462)? Find out how to apply here.

Please note: there is only a limited number of Work and Holiday Visas for au pairs from certain countries.


To be entitled to a Work and Holiday visa, you need to be aged 18 to 30 and be a citizen of one of the following countries: Argentina, Austria, Bangladesh, Chile, China, Czech Republic, Hungary, Indonesia, Israel, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Peru, Poland, Portugal, San Marino, Singapore, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Thailand, Turkey, Uruguay, the USA or Vietnam

Furthermore, you need to meet other criteria, depending on your home country. The most important of these can be found in our Quick Check or on the official page of the Work and Holiday Visa of the Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection.

How to apply for the Work and Holiday visa

Step 1: Check if your passport is valid

To apply for your Work and Holiday visa, you need a valid passport, which the Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection recommends is valid for at least another six months after you have handed in your application.

Step 2: Apply for your Work and Holiday visa

Complete the application form for the Work and Holiday visa (form 1208), ensuring that you add all the necessary attachments and pay the visa application fee. Citizens of Bangladesh and Malaysia additionally need to provide their biometric data.

Send your completed application by post or fax to the Australian Immigration Office in the country which issued your passport. They will tell you as well if you need to meet additional local criteria. Sometimes, however, you have to hand in your application in person. US citizens can apply with any Australian immigration office outside of Australia or apply for their visa online.

The authorities will confirm your application upon receipt. Check the different visa processing times to know how much time you should wait for a response.

If your visa is approved, you will receive a notification by post or e-mail. You should always have this notification at hand, as it describes your visa conditions. Your visa is electronically linked to your passport number, indicated on your visa application.

You can always check your visa online via the free online service VEVO. Therefore, you only need a visa sticker in your passport if the Department specifically states so in your visa notification. In this case, you will receive it from any Australian Departmental Office.

Conditions of the Work and Holiday visa

The visa is valid for 12 months. If you apply for it outside of Australia, the start date will be the day you enter Australia. With the Work and Holiday visa, you may not work for the same employer for any longer than 6 months, but you may study or do a training course for up to 4 months. On the other hand, au pairs entering Australia on a Work and Holiday visa are allowed to stay with their host families for up to 12 months if given signed permission by an Immigration Secretary or by signing a Form 1445.

Once you arrive to Australia

Regardless of the visa you applied for to arrive to Australia, au pairs need a so called "Working With Children Check" when providing childcare. Depending on the state, there are different names and procedures:

In most cases, au pairs can work while the application is being processed with some exceptions. Please check them in the aforementioned websites.

We are continually researching and updating our host country information, but cannot guarantee that all material provided is complete and correct. If you notice gaps or inaccuracies, we would like to hear from you.

Log in to AuPairWorld


Security question

If you forget your password, you must answer a security question correctly. Only then will it be possible to reset your password and regain access to your profile. Please select a question now and enter an answer for it.