Entry requirements and visas for au pairs in Iceland

How can au pairs best manage the entry requirements for Iceland? Is a visa required? All the important information for au pairs on what needs to be done in advance of the stay and immediately after arrival. Plus the different requirements for EU and non-EU citizens.

Young woman with a suitcase at the airport

The requirements for EEA citizens and non-EU citizens are different.

EEA citizens

All EU states plus Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway (without Switzerland)

EU: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain and Sweden.

Non-EU : Citizens of all other countries

Au pairs from EEA countries

Au pairs from Denmark, Finland, Norway and Sweden do not need any residence permit.

Au pairs from all other EEA countries who stay in Iceland for up to 3 months also do not need a residence permit. For longer stays au pairs must apply for a registration in the national registry at the Registers Iceland after their arrival in Iceland.


Au pairs from non-EEA countries

Au pairs from non-EEA countries have to apply for a temporary au pair permit. If the applicant does not require a visa, then they may be in Iceland while applying for the residence permit. If the applicant does require a visa, then they may not be in Iceland when applying for the au pair permit and while the application is being processed. The au pair will have to submit the following documents:

  • A completed and signed application form for an au-pair permit.
  • One passport sized photo (35x45 mm) must be attached to the application.
  • A passport copy. The passport must be valid for at least 3 months beyond the proposed permit period.
  • Criminal Records Check (must not be dated earlier than 6 months prior to being submitted to the Directorate)
  • Medical insurance (must cover at least 2.000.000 IKR and shall be issued by an insurance company authorized to provide services in Iceland).
  • A written au pair contract. The contract is only available at the Directorate of Immigration Utlendingastofnun (UTL) and the labour office.

When the application is approved, the au pair will obtain a so-called D-Visa at their closest embassy issuing such visas on behalf of Iceland.

Upon arrival in Iceland the au pair has to register at the National Registry (Þjóðskrá) and deliver a Medical Certificate to the Directorate of Immigration Utlendingastofnun (UTL).

We are continually researching and updating our host country information, but cannot guarantee that all material provided is complete and correct. If you notice gaps or inaccuracies, we would like to hear from you.