Child benefit payments in Germany

(Also to be found with keywords Child benefit and Family allowance)

Legal information regarding child benefit payments for German au pairs.

Regulations on child benefit payments for German au pairs

In its judgement of 15 March 2012, the Federal Fiscal Court in Germany (BFH) confirmed its case law ruling that au pair placements organised with the purpose of learning a foreign language abroad can only be considered a type of vocational training if they include a comprehensive, systematic and theoretical language course of at least ten hours per week on average. Please click on this link to find more information (in German) on this judgement (press release 41/12 of 6 June 2012).

By filling in Form E402, au pairs can prove their participation in a language course. Parents can always contact the competent German authorities if more information is needed. It is recommended that employees turn to the respective Family Benefits Office of the German Federal Employment Agency, whilst civil servants should contact their regional State Office for salaries and benefits.