Entry requirements for au pairs in Japan

What kind of visa do you need to become an au pair in Japan? What are the necessary documents? On this page interested au pairs and host families can find the relevant information for organising an au pair stay in Japan:

Au pair at the airport

There is no official au pair program in Japan. However, for citizens of certain countries it is possible to be an au pair in Japan within the Working Holiday program.

Accepted countries:

Argentina, Australia, Austria, Canada, Chile, Czech, Denmark, Estonia, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Lithuania, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, the Republic of Korea, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden, Taiwan and the united kingdom

  • Working Holiday Maker

    Working Holiday Makers:

    • must not have dependent children
    • must be in good health 
    • must not have a criminal record
    • must possess a valid passport

    Financial requirements: The Working Holiday maker must have sufficient funds (approx. 2000 EUR) to support themselves at the beginning of their stay in Japan. The participant must also have a return ticket or sufficient funds to purchase one. 

    Language requirements: The ability to speak Japanese is desirable but not required.

    Travel costs: The travel costs have to be paid by au pairs.
    Tip for host families: In case you are willing to bear a part of the costs, we recommend to do this after the successful completion of the au pair stay. 

    Health and accident insurance: The au pair needs to take out an insurance to cover illness, injury or accident before going to Japan. 

  • Working Holiday Visa

    The au pair needs to apply for the visa at the nearest Japanese embassy or consulate. If the au pair has to leave Japan and wants to return, they will have to obtain a re-entry permit from the Immigration Authorities before leaving Japan. Upon arrival in Japan, the au pair has to register with the local authorities. 

    For further information about the Working Holiday program, please check the website of the Japanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs where you can also find links to your local embassy.

We are continually researching and updating our host country information, but cannot guarantee that all material provided is complete and correct. If you notice gaps or inaccuracies, we would like to hear from you.