Au pair visa for U.S. citizens in Spain

You are from the USA and wish to become an au pair in Spain? Below you will find all the information you need.

 You are not from the USA? In this case, you need to click here.

The procedures for becoming an au pair in Spain vary according to the intended length of stay and the au pair's home state in the USA.

For au pairs staying 3 months or less

If au pairs intend to stay in Spain for less than 90 days, they will not need a visa to travel to Spain, provided that they have the U.S. citizenship. Nevertheless, they will need to justify their stay. We recommend you to justify your stay for study purposes or private matters, for which you will, amongst others, need the following documents:

  • a valid passport
  • a health insurance covering the au pair throughout their entire stay
  • a certificate of enrolment in a language course
  • the invitation letter from the host family (obtained from their local police station)
  • the au pair contract signed by both parties (it may serve as a proof for the funds you have at your disposal)

It is always advisable to ask the consulate of your state which specific documents you need to provide. Additionally, we recommend you to bring along a copy of the European Agreement on the Au Pair Placement.

For au pairs staying more than 3 months

If the au pair is going to stay in Spain for longer than 90 days, they will need a visa. In some states a specific au pair visa is issued for Spain. In those states where this option is not offered, the au pair should apply for a student visa.

Check out the following table to find out which consulate you need to contact to apply for your visa and which type of visa you need according to your home state in the USA:

Spanish consulates Consular jurisdiction Available visas
Boston Maine, Massachussets, New Hampshire,
Rhode Island, Vermont
student visa
Chicago Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky,
Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska,
North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, Wisconsin.
au pair visa
Houston Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi,
New Mexico, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas
au pair visa
Los Angeles Southern California (counties: Imperial, Inyo, Kern,
Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, Bernardino,
San Diego, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, Ventura),
Arizona, Colorado, Utah.
au pair visa
Miami Florida, Georgia, South Carolina au pair visa
New York New York, Connecticut, Delaware,
Pennsylvania, New Jersey
au pair visa
San Francisco Alaska, Northern California, Hawaii, Idaho,
Montana, Nevada, Oregon, Washington,
Wyoming, Pacific islands.
au pair visa
Washington DC Washington DC, Maryland, Virginia,
West Virgina, North Carolina
student visa
Puerto Rico Puerto Rico, Islas de Culebra, Vieques,
Islas Vírgenes.
student visa

Important note for Spanish families: The au pair must be enrolled in a Spanish course for at least 20 hours per week in order to apply for the au pair or student visa. These kinds of courses, however, are not offered in all cities or villages in Spain. If no such language course is offered in your particular city or village, you will unfortunately not be able to host an au pair from the USA. In this case, you need to choose au pairs from different nationalities.

Het AuPairWorld Team spant zich in voor een zo zorgvuldig en actueel mogelijke weergave van de gegevens in de rubriek Info gastlanden. Wij kunnen echter geen garantie geven aangaande de nauwkeurigheid en volledigheid van deze informatie. Mocht je informatie tegenkomen die naar jouw mening onjuist of gedateerd is, dan zouden wij het zeer op prijs stellen als je dit aan ons doorgeeft.

Log je in op AuPairWorld


Security question

If you forget your password, you must answer a security question correctly. Only then will it be possible to reset your password and regain access to your profile. Please select a question now and enter an answer for it.