Entry regulations for au pairs

On this page you can find out which steps you need to take to host an au pair at your home.

Register as a family

Young people from most countries are able to become au pairs in the USA. However, citizens from countries, which do not maintain a diplomatic relationship with the USA, are an exception.

The Quick Check for au pairs contains the criteria your au pair needs to fulfil, in order to be able to work for you.

Please note: It is compulsory for au pairs and host families in the USA to apply through a designated agency or sponsor! Furthermore, you need to be prepared to host your au pair for a total of 12 months. The minimum stay is defined by the J-1 VISA Exchange Visitor Programme for au pairs. 

Your future au pair needs to have a J-1 Visa to legally work for you. He or she can only obtain this visa through one of the 16 US designated agencies. AuPairWorld is cooperating with the designated agency Au Pair in America.

Step 1: Find an au pair

Use AuPairWorld to find a suitable au pair.

Step 2: Contact an agency

Please choose one of the 16 US designated au pair agencies together with your au pair and contact them. The chosen agency will organize the official and legal aspects of the au pair placement. In addition, it will take care of many formalities (visa, air tickets, au pair courses, etc.).

Useful links and sources

All regulations defined by the U.S. Department of State on the au pair program in the USA

We are continually researching and updating our host country information, but cannot guarantee that all material provided is complete and correct. If you notice gaps or inaccuracies, we would like to hear from you.

Log in to AuPairWorld


Security question

If you forget your password, you must answer a security question correctly. Only then will it be possible to reset your password and regain access to your profile. Please select a question now and enter an answer for it.