The au pair contract, insurance, driving licence etc.

Information about au pair related topics such as the au pair contract, insurance and safety can be found here.

More about au pair contract, insurance etc

The au pair contract

It is important that you and your au pair clarify in advance what you expect from each other. Please make sure that you always define all aspects of the au pair stay you agree upon in a written contract. Thus, you can avoid future disappointments. We recommend you to sign the official contract according to the European Agreement.

A more detailed overview of the general regulations for au pair placements can be found on our web page Costs, working hours, time off etc.

Termination of contract

The legal period of notice is 14 days, leaving enough time for you to find a replacement au pair and either organise the return trip of your current au pair or help them find a new host family.

Health insurance

In the UK, the National Health Service (NHS) is responsible for public health care. This includes hospital stays, medical care and ambulance services. Patients need to pay for some of the services offered by the NHS, but we strongly recommend that host families bear part of the cost, should their au pair need to make use of NHS services that are subject to charges. Likewise, we recommend that host families bear part of the cost should it be necessary for their au pair to take out an international insurance policy prior to departure.

Visitors from EEA states: Citizens of these countries are entitled to benefit from NHS services throughout their stay in the UK. However, to do so, they need to provide their European health insurance card (EHIC)*). Otherwise, they may be charged for NHS healthcare services.

Visits to the doctor and ambulance services are free of charge, whereas hospital treatment, prescription costs, dental treatment, eyesight tests and ophtalmic products are subject to fees, unless the person in question is exempt from charges.

*The healthcare system in the UK may differ from the one provided in your au pair's home country. Thus, their EHIC might not cover the same services in the UK as it does in their own country. In the UK, the EHIC does not cover private medical healthcare or costs, such as mountain rescue and extraction in ski resorts, repatriation, etc. Therefore, au pairs should make sure that they bring along their valid private travel insurance policy on top of their European health insurance card when entering their host country. If their EHIC is lost or stolen during their stay in the UK, they need to contact their insurance company in their home country to provide them with a Provisional Replacement Certificate (PRC).

Visitors from non-EEA states, which have signed a reciprocal health agreement with the UK: Citizens of these countries are entitled to NHS hospital treatment (limited to emergency treatment in most cases). Visitors will need to bear the cost of hospitalisation during their stay in the UK, unless they are exempt from charges. Entitlement to specific NHS services depends upon the reciprocal health care agreement with the corresponding state. Therefore, it may be necessary to take out supplementary health and accident insurance for the entire stay in the UK prior to departure.

Visitors from all other states: Citizens from all other countries need to take out an individual health and accident insurance policy for the entire duration of stay in the UK before leaving their countries. It is not possible to contact the NHS upon arrival in the United Kingdom to take out such an insurance policy.

Car driving and driving licence

Would you prefer your au pair to have a driving licence? If so, then you need to take the following into consideration: having a driving licence does not necessarily mean having good driving skills. Ask your au pair how much driving experience they already have. After all, they will be transporting your children around. Make sure that driving on the left does not make them feel uncomfortable. Especially, if they are more used to driving on the right-hand side.

Should you put your car at the au pair's disposal, you need to be well informed about liability issues and necessary insurance coverage. Clarify who would pay for the damages resulting from an accident caused by the au pair. We recommend that you contact your insurance company, who can possibly add your au pair to your existing car insurance for the duration of his/her stay.

Moreover, verify whether the au pair's driving licence is valid in your country.

Be on the safe side

  • We strongly recommend you to discuss all important details concerning the au pair placement with your future au pair well in advance. On the following page you will find some useful questions you should ask your au pair.

  • Have you already spoken personally with your au pair? In a telephone conversation, you can quickly find out how well you get along with each other. For more tips concerning your personal safety, please click on our Security page.
  • Does your au pair have sufficient English knowledge? Of course, your au pair does not yet speak the language perfectly. Nevertheless, they should at least be able to effectively warn your children in their mother tongue about any kind of danger they might encounter, such as a hot hob, for example.

We are continually researching and updating our host country information, but cannot guarantee that all material provided is complete and correct. If you notice gaps or inaccuracies, we would like to hear from you.

Log in to AuPairWorld


Security question

If you forget your password, you must answer a security question correctly. Only then will it be possible to reset your password and regain access to your profile. Please select a question now and enter an answer for it.