Au pair in Switzerland
How to host an au pair from a non-EU country

What entry requirements apply to your au pair? Which documents do they need to prepare? Here you will find the relevant information for non-EU au pairs in Switzerland.

In order for your au pair to be able to work in Switzerland, you will need the confirmation from a SECO-approved agency confirming the successful placement. We recommend our exclusive partner agency in Switzerland, Wind Connections. They can handle all relevant aspects for you.

The following information applies to au pairs from non-EU countries. Have you come to this page by mistake? If you are hosting an au pair from an EU or EFTA country, please go to the page au pairs from EU and EFTA countries.

Register as a family

Young people from almost any country can become au pairs in Switzerland. This, however, does not include young people from countries which do not have a diplomatic relationship with Switzerland.

Enquire, therefore, with your local immigration or employment authorities whether your family can take on an au pair from a non-EU country.

Information regarding work and residence permits

To apply for the necessary work and residence permit at the relevant cantonal immigration and labour market authority, you need the following items to presented for the application:

  • the application form, which differs by canton
  • a copy of the au pair's passport or identity card
  • the statement from a Swiss agency recognised by the SECO, such as our partner agency, Wind Connections
  • the au pair contract
  • proof of your au pair's registration or pregistration for a language course, corresponding to the language spoken in the area in which they will be staying
  • proof of registration with a recognised Swiss health insurance company
  • other documents, where appropriate

Once the cantonal job market authority has reached a preliminary decision, the documents will be examined by the Federal Office for Migration and checked in accordance with the criteria for the whole of Switzerland. They will also look at how many local citizens want to become au pairs, as they have priority over other persons, and also at the limit of citizens from foreign countries when assessing your application. This process can take up to four weeks.


If your au pair requires a visa, they must apply for one at the relevant diplomatic authorities in their own country. Along with the application form, they will need the following documents in order to apply:

  • a copy of their passport
  • the au pair contract
  • civil certificate (e.g birth certificate)
  • a health certificate

All documents must be originals. If the original documents are not in English or one of the official languages of Switzerland, they will need to be translated. The authorities often ask for the translation to be done by a sworn translator.

Once the Foreign Office for Migration has approved your au pair's application, the cantonal migration authorities authorise the issuance of a visa (entry permit for Switzerland).  Your au pair can subsequently collect the visa at the embassy in their home country and travel to Switzerland.

Your au pair must register at the registration office within 8 days of their arrival in Switzerland and before they begin with their au pair duties. They need to take the following documents with them to be able to register successfully:

  • their passport
  • their entry permit 
  • 3 passport photos
  • further documents, depending on which canton you are registering in

After the au pair has registered, they will receive an identity card from the Office of Migration. The identity card is valid as a work and residence permit. This will be issued for a maximum of one year and cannot be extended.

Insurance and social insurance certificate

An au pair is considered an employed person in Switzerland. This means that their pocket money falls under social contribution requirements, just like any other employment income. In order to calculate the contribution amounts, you need to apply for a social insurance certificate for your au pair at the social insurance authorities

Your au pair requires the same insurance as any other employee.

You, as the host family, must set up health, accident, pension and unemployment insurance contributions for your au pair. In order to calculate the contributions, the social insurance organisation needs the name of the insurance company and the name of the insured person. Half of the contributions are usually paid by the host family and the other half will come out of the au pair's gross income.

Useful links:

Federal Office for Migration: Leaflet for foreign nationals on Swiss social insurance
Swiss Federal Department of Justice and Police: Leaflet "Living and working in Switzerland"
Discover Switzerland: Switzerland's official information portal

We are continually researching and updating our host country information, but cannot guarantee that all material provided is complete and correct. If you notice gaps or inaccuracies, we would like to hear from you.

Log in to AuPairWorld


Security question

If you forget your password, you must answer a security question correctly. Only then will it be possible to reset your password and regain access to your profile. Please select a question now and enter an answer for it.