Don't forget: the au pair contract, insurance etc.

Why is it important to have a contract with your au pair? Who takes care of your au pair's health insurance? And the driving licence - is it valid? Here you can find out more.

Register as a family

The au pair contract

You should discuss your mutual expectations together with your future aupair. The agreements that you make should be put in writing. As there is no official au pair contract in Sweden, we advise all au pairs and host families to use the European contract to help them draft a contract of their own. Remember to include all your mutual expectations in this contract, including the au pair's duties, working hours, free time, holidays etc. 

If you and your au pair really don't get along with one another, the au pair contract can be terminated with a notice period of 2 weeks. In serious circumstances it can also be terminated without notice.    

Health and Accident Insurance

Försäkringskassan is the agency in charge of social insurance in Sweden. To be covered under insurance, au pairs  need to register with Försäkringskassan to be entitled to certain benefits including basic healthcare,  disability coverage and other insurance benefits. Au pairs with a European Health Insurance Card from their home country are advised to take this with them, as they may be automatically covered in Sweden on this basis


Au pairs in Sweden must pay taxes on their pocket money as well as on the value of the board and lodging which they recieve. For this purpose au pairs need to register with the Skatteverket (The Swedish Tax Agency) upon arrival in Sweden. For this the au pair needs their personal identity card, and if they are from a non-EU country, the Swedish work permit. 

The amount of tax that needs to be paid depends on the length of stay, the amount of pocket money and the value of the board andlodging. As a rule, the value of lodging is calculated at 600 SEK per month  and two or more meals a day are valued at 50 SEK. When registering with the tax agency, the au pair will receive more information about the exact amount of tax to be paid.

Car driving and driving licence

Clarify with your au pair whether it will be necessary to drive and also if the au pair feels comfortable driving. Driving licences issued in another EU or EFTA country, as well as those issued in Nordic countries , entitle the holder to drive in Sweden without having to change their licence, provided that they are 18 years or older. Some non-EU driving licences are also valid in Sweden but may need translating. More info here. Also discuss with your au pair what will happen in the event of an accident? Who pays for the damage? It is recommended to put this agreement in writing.

Be on the safe side:

  • We strongly recommend you to discuss all important details concerning the au pair placement with your future au pair well in advance. On the following page you will find some useful questions you should ask your au pair.

  • Have you already spoken personally with your au pair? In a telephone conversation, you can quickly find out how well you get along with each other. For more tips concerning your personal safety, please click on our Security page.
  • Does your au pair have sufficient knowledge of the official language of your country of residence? Of course, your au pair does not yet speak the language perfectly. Nevertheless, they should at least be able to effectively warn your children in their mother tongue about any kind of danger they might encounter, such as a hot hob, for example.

We are continually researching and updating our host country information, but cannot guarantee that all material provided is complete and correct. If you notice gaps or inaccuracies, we would like to hear from you.

Log in to AuPairWorld


Security question

If you forget your password, you must answer a security question correctly. Only then will it be possible to reset your password and regain access to your profile. Please select a question now and enter an answer for it.