Entering Sweden as an au pair

So you're on your way to Sweden! But which documents are necessary for you to arrive successfully? The formalities vary according to which country you come from.

Before entering Sweden

Step-by-step guide for all au pairs to complete before entering Sweden:

  • Obtain a health certificate issued no more than 3 months before your departure
  • Provide proof of any previously acquired Swedish language skills, a statement of interest in the Swedish culture (for example certificates from any relevant studies in history or politics), or proof that you'll benefit from studies in the Swedish language and culture
  • Enrol in a language course, which should fit around your au pairing schedule. Au pairs from some countries need a certificate of enrolment in order to apply for a residence permit
  • Draft and sign an au pair contract with your host family, specifying details of your duties, working hours, pocket money, holiday entitlements etc.
  • Check that your passport is valid, and will stay valid for the entire duration of your au pair stay

For EU/EFTA citizens and citizens of Nordic countries, completing the above steps is all you need to do to be able to enter Sweden as an au pair.

Non-EU Citizens - Apply for a work permit
(+ visa if required) before entering Sweden
Citizens from Australia, Canada, New Zealand and South Korea - Apply for a Working Holiday Visa

Apply for a work permit prior to entering Sweden through your local Swedish Embassy or Consulate General. The documents listed in the step-by-step guide above will be required. The application costs SEK 1,000. Certain waiting times also apply.

Note: If you have worked as an au pair in another country before, it may reduce your chances of being granted a work permit as an au pair in Sweden.

Au pairs staying for less than 3 months and coming from one of these countries require a visa as well as a work permit to enter Sweden. Your au pair contract is used instead of an invitation, and the application costs 60 Euros. Your fingerprints and photo will also be taken at the Embassy which will be used for a Residence Permit Card.

Apply for a Working Holiday Visa, via a Swedish embassy or consulate general in your home country to enter Sweden. The application costs SEK 1,000, and all the documents from the step-by-step guide will be required, plus proof of secure income, i.e. your pocket money as an au pair. Be aware of the applicable waiting times

After entering Sweden

Citizens of the EU/EFTA - Since 1 May 2014, citizens of these countries no longer need  to register their Right of Residence if they intend to stay in the country for more than 3 months for studying or working purposes.

Citizens of Switzerland staying longer than 3 months - Apply for a Residence Permit within 3 months of arriving. A copy of the au pair contract will be needed, and certain waiting times apply.

Citizens of the Nordic countries only need to register with the Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket) upon arrival in Sweden.

Au pairs who require residence/work permits and are staying longer than 3 months - Make an appointment at your local Migration Board Permit Unit to have your fingerprints and photo taken for your Residence Permit Card as soon as possilble after arriving in Sweden.

Register with the Swedish Tax Agency 
Shortly after arriving in Sweden you should register with the Skatteverket (Swedish Tax Agency) which will be able to provide more information on the exact amount of tax you will pay as an au pair. Note: Despite paying tax, au pairs still receive a monthly pocket money to the value of SEK 3,500 gross.

Register with the Swedish Social Insurance Agency (Försäkringskassan)
To be covered by social insurance in Sweden, simply register with Försäkringskassan. Those with an European Health Insurance Card from their home country are advised to take this with them, as this may automatically provide you with health insurance coverage. Everyone who lives or works in Sweden is entitled to certain benefits when registered with Försäkringskassan, including basic healthcare disability coverage and other insurance coverage.

We are continually researching and updating our host country information, but cannot guarantee that all material provided is complete and correct. If you notice gaps or inaccuracies, we would like to hear from you.

Log in to AuPairWorld


Security question

If you forget your password, you must answer a security question correctly. Only then will it be possible to reset your password and regain access to your profile. Please select a question now and enter an answer for it.