Don't forget: the au pair contract, insurance, etc.

So you're all set for your au pair stay, but have you remembered all of these important matters?

The au pair contract

You should discuss your mutual expectations together with your future host family. The agreements that you make should be put in writing. As there is no official au pair contract in Sweden, we advise all au pairs and host families to use the European contract to help them draft a contract of their own. Remember to include all your mutual expectations in this contract, including the au pair's duties, working hours, free time, holidays, etc. 

If you and your host family really don't get along with one another, the au pair contract can be terminated with a notice period of 2 weeks. In serious circumstances it can also be terminated without notice.    

Health and accident insurance

Försäkringskassan is the agency in charge of social insurance in Sweden. To have insurance coverage, you simply need to register with Försäkringskassan which will entitle you to benefits including basic healthcare, disability coverage and other insurance benefits. Au pairs with a European Health Insurance Card from their home country are advised to take this with them, as this may automatically entitle you to health insurance coverage.


Au pairs in Sweden pay tax on their pocket money and on their board and lodging. The amount of tax you pay depends on how much pocket money you receive and the value of the non-monetary taxable benefits (lodging is valued at 600 SEK per month and two or more daily meals at 50 SEK). Au pairs need to register with the Skatteverket (The Swedish Tax Agency) upon arrival in Sweden, where more information on the exact amount of tax an au pair pays is available.

Car driving and driving licence

Driving licences issued in another EU or EFTA country, as well as those from Nordic countries, entitle the holder to drive in Sweden without having to change their licence, provided that you are 18 years or older. Some non-EU driving licences are also valid in Sweden but may need translating. More info here

Even if your driving licence is valid you should clarify with your host family beforehand if you will be expected to drive a car and if so how often, so that you know if you have enough driving experience or not. Discuss the following questions too: what happens in case of an accident? Who pays for the damage? It is recommended to set out your agreement on these points in writing.

Be on the safe side:

  • We strongly recommend you to discuss all important details concerning your au pair stay with your future host parents well in advance. On the following page you will find the most important questions you should ask your host family.

  • Have you already spoken with your host family to find out how well you get along with each other? Click on our Security section for more tips concerning your own safety. 
  • Having good knowledge of the language spoken in the host country enables you to express your wants and needs in the beginning. Especially in case of illness, having some adequate vocabulary will certainly help you.

We are continually researching and updating our host country information, but cannot guarantee that all material provided is complete and correct. If you notice gaps or inaccuracies, we would like to hear from you.

Log in to AuPairWorld


Security question

If you forget your password, you must answer a security question correctly. Only then will it be possible to reset your password and regain access to your profile. Please select a question now and enter an answer for it.