Information for au pairs from non-EU countries

Are you a non-EU citizen? Have you already done the Quick Check? On this page, formalities and visa requirements will be explained to you step by step.

There is no official au pair programme in Spain. However, there are different types of visas which allow you to travel to Spain and work as an au pair there. It is always recommended to contact the Spanish Embassy in your country to find out everything you need to know about the procedures and requirements involved.

Check the countries below. If your country of origin is not listed, you will need to read the information for «other countries». Please note: Should you be a citizen of a Latin American country where Spanish is spoken as the official language, you may not work as an au pair in Spain.

Note: If you are staying in Spain for more than 6 months, you need to request your tarjeta de identidad de extranjero (identity card for foreign nationals) at the Oficina de Extranjería (Immigration Office) or at your local police station upon your arrival in Spain.


There are different formalities for Australian citizens who wish to work as au pairs depending on their length of stay in Spain. If you wish to stay for less than 90 days, you can travel to Spain without a visa. Nevertheless, there are some formalities for you to take care of. If you intend to stay for more than 90 days, there are two types of visas you can go for: the au pair visa or the Youth Mobility visa. The latter will allow you to work, study or travel in Spain for up to 12 months. However, you will not be able to stay with a family for more than 6 months. Contact the Embassy of Spain in Canberra for more information.


If you are a Canadian citizen planning to stay in Spain for less than 90 days, you will not need a visa. However, some formalities need to be carried out beforehand. Should you be staying in Spain for more than 90 days, you can apply for an au pair visa or a Youth Mobility visa. The number of Youth Mobility visas is limited. Therefore, au pairs should contact the Spanish Embassy in Canada to enquire more about visa availability.

New Zealand

The Working Holiday programme allows citizens of New Zealand to become au pairs in Spain. Should you have some more detailed questions, you need to contact the Spanish Embassy in New Zealand. Be aware that you may not stay with the same family for more than 3 months or work in Spain for over 6 months in the context of this programme. If you wish to stay for less than 90 days in Spain, you do not need a visa to enter the country. However, you will still need to take care of certain formalities.

South Africa

Citizens of  South Africa may apply for an au pair visa. Contact the Spanish Embassy in South Africa for further questions.

United States

The formalities for becoming an au pair in Spain depend on your intended length of stay and the U.S. state you live in. Find out more about the au pair visa for U.S. citizens in Spain.


If you are from Kazakhstan and want to stay in Spain for fewer than 90 days, you will need to apply for a Schengen visa as well as to follow certain procedures. If the stay is going to last more than 90 days, you must apply for an au pair visa. In case of any further questions, please contact the Spanish Embassy in Astana.


Au pairs from Vietnam must apply for an authorization of stay for study purposes.

Other countries

There are different formalities depending on your length of stay.

Staying in Spain less than 90 days

If you are staying in Spain for less than three months, you must find out if you are exempt from visa requirements in this list compiled by the Department of Foreign Affairs. If you have to get a visa, you can apply for a short term visa (Schengen visa).

Whether you need a visa or not, you must present documents which justify your stay in Spain and also show that you can afford the stay. We recommend you to justify your stay for study purposes or private matters. The family must send you a signed au pair contract, which will serve as a proof for the funds you have at your disposal, as well as an invitation letter. To obtain this letter, the family must contact the police station and apply for one. After they have received the letter, they must send it to you so that you can present it at the border, along with the aforementioned documents. Additionally, we recommend you to bring along a copy of the European Agreement on the Au Pair Placement.

Staying in Spain longer than 90 days

If you are staying in Spain for longer than three months, there are alternative ways of becoming an au pair in Spain:

Student visa

To obtain a student visa, you need to enrol in a Spanish course before you leave for Spain (your host family can enrol you) and attend at least 20 hours per week of classes. The school in which you take the course must be accredited by the Instituto Cervantes. When you apply for your visa at the consulate or embassy you must present your certificate of matriculation, an au pair contract signed by the family and proof that you have arranged medical insurance, among other things. Read all the requirements and procedures carefully. Contact the Foreigners and Immigration Department for more information. You have to go to the police station within a month of your arrival in Spain and make an appointment to process your residence permit.

Non profitable temporary residence permit (Autorización inicial de residencia temporal no lucrativa)

This permit allows you to travel to Spain. You have to prove, among other things, that you can afford your stay and that you have health insurance which covers you whilst you are in Spain. Find out more information about the requirements and procedures involved on the page for Foreigners and Immigration.

We are continually researching and updating our host country information, but cannot guarantee that all material provided is complete and correct. If you notice gaps or inaccuracies, we would like to hear from you.

Log in to AuPairWorld


Security question

If you forget your password, you must answer a security question correctly. Only then will it be possible to reset your password and regain access to your profile. Please select a question now and enter an answer for it.