Information for au pairs from the EU

Are you from an EU or EFTA state? Have you already done the Quick Check? On this page, the formalities will be explained to you step by step.

You are not from an EU or EFTA state? Please click here.

Step 1: Check the validity of your passport

Make sure that you hold a valid passport or identity card before planning your trip. You do not need an entry visa to go to Spain.

Step 2: Get registered with the residents' registration office

If you decide to stay in Spain for more than three months, you need to go to the registration office to confirm that you will be living with your host family throughout your time in Spain. The procedures involved vary from province to province so you should ask your host family to help you take care of the relevant formalities.

Step 3: Apply for your EU registration certificate

If you are staying in Spain for longer than three months, you need to go to the residents office for foreign nationals to apply for a EU registration certificate when you arrive.
You need to bear in mind that formalities differ according to the Autonomous Community and province that you are living in. If you need to schedule an appointment in advance via the Internet, you need to select your host province and the option "EU registration certificates". You will have to provide the following documents:

  • two completed and signed copies of the official application form (EX-18)
  • your valid passport or ID
  • proof of public or private health insurance covering you throughout your stay
  • proof that you have access to sufficient funds throughout your stay in Spain (your au pair contract may serve as a proof).

Furthermore, we recommend you to bring along a copy of the European Agreement on the Au Pair Placement in Spanish.

Documents in other languages need to be translated into Spanish or the corresponding co-official language of the region where you apply for your registration certificate.

Please note: You may hand in copies of the aforementioned documents. However, you have to show the originals when submitting your application. You will also have to pay a fee.

You will find more information on this topic on the Spanish government's information page for foreign citizens.

We are continually researching and updating our host country information, but cannot guarantee that all material provided is complete and correct. If you notice gaps or inaccuracies, we would like to hear from you.

Log in to AuPairWorld


Security question

If you forget your password, you must answer a security question correctly. Only then will it be possible to reset your password and regain access to your profile. Please select a question now and enter an answer for it.