Don't forget: the au pair contract, insurance etc.

Here you will find information about insurance, contract and safety in Spain.

The au pair contract

You and your family should clarify in advance what you expect from each other and sign a contract in which the most important points are defined. By doing this, you will avoid future disappointments. We recommend that you sign the au pair contract according to the European Agreement.

You will find more useful information about your au pair stay on our page Pocket money, working hours, time off etc.

The legal period of notice is two weeks. This gives both you and your host family time to find a replacement or to book your return journey home.

Health insurance

Au pairs cannot be registered with the national insurance scheme in Spain, called Seguridad Social.

Before you leave for Spain, you should get in touch with your health insurance company in your home country to find out if you will be fully covered throughout your entire stay in Spain. You need to know what you will be covered for, how long you will be covered for and if there are any formalities you need to take care of.

There are different requirements, depending on where you come from.

Are you an EU citizen?

Au pairs in Spain are covered by their European Health Insurance Card. Should you not already hold a card, you need to apply for one at your health insurance company well before your departure. If you are unable to obtain this card from your health insurance provider, you will need to take out a private insurance in Spain. It entitles you to benefit from instant healthcare. Ask your host parents to help you find an insurance policy which meets your needs.*

Are you a non-EU citizen?

Check beforehand if your own health insurance will cover you throughout your entire stay in Spain. Should this not be the case, you will need to take out a private health insurance. There are various insurance companies in Spain where you can take out your private insurance. Ask your host parents to help you select an insurance policy which meets your needs.*

*Note: Spain has signed the European Agreement on the Au Pair Placement with some modifications. One of them specifies that au pairs and host families must equally share the cost of private insurance contributions.

Car driving and driving licence

Host families often require an au pair who have a driving licence. Having sufficient driving experience is also expected.

As an au pair you will most probably be driving the car of your host family. Issues of insurance and liability should be clarified in advance. Should any damages result from an accident, it should be clear who pays for them.

If you wish to drive in Spain, before you go you need to find out whether or not your driving licence will be valid there. If it isn't, you will need to apply for an international driving licence in your country.

Be on the safe side:

  • Have you already spoken to your future host family on the phone or via skype? Read the most important questions to ask your host family to get to know them better before you make the decision to be their au pair.
  • Would you like some tips on how to search safely on AuPairWorld? Maybe you already have a family but have questions about how to prepare for your stay? Read our tips on safety and security.

We are continually researching and updating our host country information, but cannot guarantee that all material provided is complete and correct. If you notice gaps or inaccuracies, we would like to hear from you.

Log in to AuPairWorld


Security question

If you forget your password, you must answer a security question correctly. Only then will it be possible to reset your password and regain access to your profile. Please select a question now and enter an answer for it.