Information for EU citizens

If you come from an EU, EFTA or EEA state, you do not need to apply for a residence permit to become an au pair in Norway. On this page, you can find out which regulations you still need to bear in mind.

Please note: The following steps only apply to you if you come from an EU, EFTA or EEA state and wish to stay in Norway for more than three months. Please click here if you are a citizen of a country outside the EU, EFTA or EEA.

Step 1: You need a valid identity card or passport 

Your identity card or passport should be valid for several months after your arrival in Norway. You need either of them for step 2. 

Step 2: Register with your local police department in Norway

If you plan to stay in Norway for more than three months, you need to register at your local police department. You start by registering online at the Application Portal Norway. Afterwards you must personally appear before your local police department or Service Centre for Foreign Workers.

You need a valid identity card or passport, as well as proof confirming that you are financially independent and do not rely on state aid. You may use your au pair contract previously signed with your host family as proof.

If you meet the registration requirements, you will receive a registration certificate. It is free of charge and does not expire. Thus, you do not need to renew it.

We are continually researching and updating our host country information, but cannot guarantee that all material provided is complete and correct. If you notice gaps or inaccuracies, we would like to hear from you.


Security question

If you forget your password, you must answer a security question correctly. Only then will it be possible to reset your password and regain access to your profile. Please select a question now and enter an answer for it.