Don't forget: the au pair contract, insurance etc.

Your host family is responsible for your insurance coverage in Norway. Here you can find out which type of insurance they need to take out for you.

The au pair contract

You should sign an au pair contract with your host family. There is a detailed standard contract for au pairs in Norway. If you come from a non-EU state, you need the contract in order to apply for your work and residence permit. As an EU citizen, you need the contract for your registration at the local police department in Norway.

Cancellation period

Both au pair and host family, can terminate the contract observing a four week cancellation period. Cancellation takes effect from the moment either party has been made aware of it and needs to be done in writing. Your host family may not cancel your contract without good reason. You may claim a written statement. As an au pair, you may cancel the contract without giving reasons. In case of a severe breach of contract, you and your host family may cancel the contract with immediate effect.

Should your contract be cancelled before your residence permit expires, you need to inform the Norwegian Directorate of Immigration (UDI) or your local police department. The cancellation of your contract does not necessarily mean that you must leave Norway immediately.

Health insurance

In Norway, au pairs who have a valid work permit automatically become members of the National Insurance Scheme. Citizens from EU countries and the European Economic Area (EEA), who do not need a residence permit, are also covered by insurance as au pairs in Norway.

As a member of the National Insurance Scheme in Norway, you pay insurance contributions. Working as an au pair in Norway, you also pay taxes. Therefore, the amount of contributions you pay is determined by the Norwegian Tax Administration and deducted from your salary.

Further types of insurance

Your host family must take out an additional au pair insurance for you. It is valid during your entire au pair stay and covers the cost of your return journey in case of illness, for instance. Your host family bears the total cost of the insurance. The insurance covers you alone and is non-transferable. It remains valid during the entire period of validity, including if you change host families. In this case, your previous host family continues to bear the cost. Your previous host family may not claim any cost sharing. The same applies should you cancel your au pair contract for a different reason or if you do not receive your residence permit.

If your host family does not make sure that you are covered by insurance, they violate the au pair contract. In this case, the host family must pay your return cost.

Your host family may take out the au pair insurance in Norway or an EU or EFTA country. It is also possible to take it out in your home country if the insurer is recognised by your country and the Schengen community. To get more information on where your host family should take out your insurance, you can contact the foreign office in your home country.

Car driving and driving licence

If your host family expects you to drive their car, you should have some practical experience, as you will mainly be driving the family's children.

You should clarify with your host family in Norway to what extent you are insured and who pays the cost in the case of an accident.

If your au pair stay in Norway does not exceed 12 months, you can use your driving licence from your home country to drive in Norway. Should your stay exceed one year, you need to apply for a driving licence at the Norwegian Customs and Excise. The local public traffic services in Norway can provide you with more information on this topic.

Be on the safe side

  • Have you already spoken to your future host family on the phone or via skype? Read the most important questions to ask your host family to get to know them better before you make the decision to be their au pair.
  • Would you like some tips on how to search safely on AuPairWorld? Maybe you already have a family but have questions about how to prepare for your stay? Read our tips on safety and security.
  • Do you have sufficient knowledge of the English or Norwegian language to express your wishes and needs? You should be able to warn the children of dangers, such as a hot cooking plate or an approaching car.

We are continually researching and updating our host country information, but cannot guarantee that all material provided is complete and correct. If you notice gaps or inaccuracies, we would like to hear from you.

Log in to AuPairWorld


Security question

If you forget your password, you must answer a security question correctly. Only then will it be possible to reset your password and regain access to your profile. Please select a question now and enter an answer for it.