Entry regulations for au pairs in New Zealand

Your au pair needs to have a Working Holiday visa in order to be allowed to work in New Zealand. Find out the conditions here.

Register as a family

Working Holiday visa for au pairs

As there is no official au pair programme in New Zealand, your au pair needs to apply for a Working Holiday visa in order to be allowed to work.

Requirements overview

The au pair must, among other things:

  • be a citizen of one of the folllowing countries: Argentina, Australia*, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Czech Republic, Chile, China, Croatia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong (HKSAR), Hungary, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Malaysia, Malta, Mexico, the Netherlands, Norway, Peru, the Philippines, Poland, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, South Korea, Sweden, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, United Kingdom, USA, Uruguay or Vietnam
  • be at least 18 and no more than 30 years of age
  • not bring along any children with them
  • hold a return ticket or sufficient funds to purchase such a ticket
  • have between NZ$2.250 and NZ$7.000 of available funds (the country of citizenship will determine the exact amount)
  • meet the health and character requirements
  • hold a medical and comprehensive hospitalisations insurance for their entire length of stay
  • not have been approved for a visa under a Working Holiday Scheme before

*Australian citizens do not need a visa to enter New Zealand and may live, study and work in this country. Find out more on the Immigration New Zealand website.

You can check all requirements and schemes on the official website for the Working Holiday visaNew Zealand limits the number of visas annually available for applicants from certain countries. Please consult the official website or check our quota list to get an overview of the number of available visas according to the au pair's countries.

Working Holiday visa conditions

You au pair may work for your family entering New Zealand on a Working Holiday visa. Depending on their home country, au pairs may stay 6-23 months in New Zealand on this type of visa. However, they must not take up permanent employment, but only occasional or part-time jobs in order to finance their stay. Your au pair may apply for the Working Holiday visa for New Zealand only once. Under certain circumstances, however, it is possible to extend the stay or apply for another type of visa.

Employment period

Your au pair may work for one or several employers for up to 12 months. Nationals of some countries may not stay more than 3 months with the same employer. These countries include: Brazil, Croatia, Denmark, Estonia, Hong Kong, Hungary, Israel, Italy, Latvia, Malta, Mexico, Peru, the Philippines, Poland, Slovenia, Spain, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey and Vietnam. 

Nationals of Chile, China or Slovakia may stay up to 6 months with their host family. Nationals of all other countries may stay up to 12 months with the same family.

Paying taxes

Like all New Zealand workers, au pairs need an IRD number. The latter allows you as their employer to deduct taxes from their earnings at the correct rate. In New Zealand, au pairs pay taxes on a pay-as-you-earn basis (PAYE). This means that there should not be a large refund or outstanding amount to pay when they leave. For more information check the Inland Revenue's webpage.

We are continually researching and updating our host country information, but cannot guarantee that all material provided is complete and correct. If you notice gaps or inaccuracies, we would like to hear from you.

Log in to AuPairWorld


Security question

If you forget your password, you must answer a security question correctly. Only then will it be possible to reset your password and regain access to your profile. Please select a question now and enter an answer for it.