Don't forget: the au pair contract, insurance etc.

Have you sorted out all the important documents you need? Read this page to find out valuable information on the au pair contract, insurance, driving licence and safety.

The au pair contract

There are no official regulations concerning the au pair stay in New Zealand. However, being considered official employees in New Zealand, au pairs need to sign a contract with their host parents. We recommend you to use the au pair contract. It should include important details, such as duties, holidays and working hours.

Contract termination

As there is no official cancellation period for au pair contracts in New Zealand, we recommend au pairs and host families who wish to terminate their au pair contracts to do so observing a two weeks' notice period. Thus, they have sufficient time to find a new au pair, a new host family or, in the case of the au pair, to organise their trip back home. In serious cases the contract may be terminated with immediate effect.

Health insurance

In order to travel to New Zealand on a Working Holiday visa, you need to be covered by a comprehensive health insurance which must be valid throughout your entire stay. Some insurers have special offers for Working Holiday Makers. Find out more on the health insurance in New Zealand on the Immigration New Zealand website. 

Car driving and driving licence

Au pairs must have a valid driver's license with an approved translation or an international driver's license to drive in New Zealand up to one year. Should you be staying longer, you need to apply for a New Zealand driver's license. Please note that there is left-hand traffic in New Zealand! To prepare well, you can always take the free Road Code (road rules) quiz provided by the Tourism New Zeland and the NZ Transport Agency. It is offered in 4 languages (English, German, Spanish and Chinese).

Please clarify with your host family well in advance if you are expected to drive their car in New Zealand. You also need to discuss what happens in case of an accident and who would bear the costs in such a case.

Tip: For au pairs from many countries it is very easy to convert their own driver licence into a New Zealand driver licence and as soon as they do so, the insurance company will apply the same rate of excess on them as they would on a similar person from New Zealand and not the high one that normally applies to drivers with licences from abroad. Another advantage of changing to a New Zealand driver licence is that au pairs are able to use it as identification, so they can it when going out instead of their passport. 

How to be on the safe side

  • Have you already spoken to your future host family on the phone or via skype? Read the most important questions you should ask your host family.
  • Would you like some tips on how to search safely on AuPairWorld? Maybe you already have a family but have questions about how to prepare for your stay? Read our tips on safety and security.
  • Do you speak English well enough to communicate important information? You should, for example, be able to express your needs and wishes with your host family and, if necessary, be able to call a doctor or let others know if you feel ill.

We are continually researching and updating our host country information, but cannot guarantee that all material provided is complete and correct. If you notice gaps or inaccuracies, we would like to hear from you.

Log in to AuPairWorld


Security question

If you forget your password, you must answer a security question correctly. Only then will it be possible to reset your password and regain access to your profile. Please select a question now and enter an answer for it.