Au pair in the Netherlands
Entry regulations for au pairs

Here you will find some information on entry requirements for au pairs in the Netherlands.

Register as a family

Who can you host within your family?

EU and EFTA countries

After finding an au pair on AuPairWorld, as a host family you choose which au pair agency will assist both you and your au pair throughout the entire duration of the au pair stay.

Only an officially recognised au pair agency of the IND (Dutch Immigration Office) is authorized to set up an application in your name.The agency will provide all necessary documents and information as well as the au pair contract.

If you wish your au pair to stay longer than 3 months in the Netherlands, they will have to go to your town council to register on the GBA (Personal Records Database) upon arrival.

An au pair stay is not the same as regular employment. However EU citizens may also enter the Netherlands to work. In this case they are entitled to a minimum wage and will not be allowed to take part in the au pair programme. 

Au pairs from non-EU countries

First of all, find an au pair on AuPairWorld.

When au pairs come from a non-EU country, they will need a visa in order to enter the Netherlands. Depending on the country of origin, your au pair will need a MVV (Temporary Residence Permit) and/or a VVR (Residence Permit Regular). Residents of the following countries do not have to apply for an MVV: Australia, Canada, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, USA, South Korea and Vatican City.

In order to obtain a MVV and VVR for your au pair, the recognised au pair agency will start a TEV-procedure (Entry and Residence Procedure). The issued residence permit (MVV) is valid for a maximum of 12 months and cannot be extended.

The au pair year starts the day the visa (MVV) of your au pair becomes valid, even if they arrive at a later date in the Netherlands. If they don’t need a visa, their maximum stay of 12 months starts from the moment of their arrival in the Netherlands.

After the au pair arrives in the Netherlands, they will have to pick up their residence permit (VVR) at the IND. After this, your au pair will go with you, the host parent, to your town council to register on the GBA (Personal Records Database). For this your au pair will need:

  • an officially translated copy of their birth certificate
  • their residence permit (VVR)
  • their passport or identity card

Within three months after their arrival in the Netherlands, your au pair will have to undergo an examination for tubercolosis. Citizens from Australia, Canada, Israel, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Surinam, Vatican City and the USA are exempt from this examination.

The au pair agency in the Netherlands will provide you with any further information.

We are continually researching and updating our host country information, but cannot guarantee that all material provided is complete and correct. If you notice gaps or inaccuracies, we would like to hear from you.

Log in to AuPairWorld


Security question

If you forget your password, you must answer a security question correctly. Only then will it be possible to reset your password and regain access to your profile. Please select a question now and enter an answer for it.