Au pair in the Netherlands
Information for au pairs from non-EU countries

Are you a non-EU citizen? Have you already done the Quick Check? On this page, formalities and visa requirements to travel to the Netherlands are explained to you step by step.

Step 1: Find a family

Use AuPairWorld to find a suitable family.

Step 2: Check the validity of your passport

In order to enter the Netherlands you will need a valid passport, which needs to be valid for at least half a year after you have left the Netherlands.

Step 3: Your host family chooses one of the recognised au pair agencies in the Netherlands

If you wish to stay in the Netherlands as an au pair, your host family must register with an au pair agency, in order to welcome you to their home. Only an officially recognised au pair agency of the IND (Dutch Immigration Office) is authorised to set up an application in your name.

The agency will assist both you and your host family throughout the entire duration of your stay and will provide all necessary documents and information, as well as the au pair contract.

Step 4: The agency starts an Entry and Residence (TEV) Procedure 

The recognised au pair agency will start a TEV-procedure (Entry and Residence Procedure). This procedure consists of an application for an MVV (Temporary Residence Permit) and/or a VVR (Residence Permit Regular).

Residents of the following countries do not have to apply for an MVV, they only need a VVR: Australia, Canada, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, USA, South Korea and Vatican City.

Your au pair year starts the day your visa becomes valid, even if you arrive at a later date in the Netherlands. If you don’t need a visa, your maximum stay of 12 months starts from the moment you arrive in the Netherlands.

Step 5: Collect your visa (MVV) and resident permit (VVR)

Once your application has been approved, the au pair agency will inform you that you can collect your MVV at the Dutch embassy or consulate in your country of origin or country of residence.

After arriving in the Netherlands, you can collect your Residence Permit (VVR) from the IND (Immigration and Naturalisation Office).

Step 6: Register with your host family's town council

Together with a host parent go to your host family's local town council to register on the GBA (Personal Records Database). For this you will need:

  • an officially translated copy of your birth certificate
  • your residence permit (VVR)
  • your passport

Step 7: Pass a medical test

Within three months after your arrival in the Netherlands, you have to undergo an examination for tuberculosis. Citizens from Australia, Canada, Israel, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Surinam, Vatican City and the USA are exempt from this examination.

The au pair agency in the Netherlands will provide you with any further information.

We are continually researching and updating our host country information, but cannot guarantee that all material provided is complete and correct. If you notice gaps or inaccuracies, we would like to hear from you.

Log in to AuPairWorld


Security question

If you forget your password, you must answer a security question correctly. Only then will it be possible to reset your password and regain access to your profile. Please select a question now and enter an answer for it.