Au pair in the Netherlands
Don't forget: the au pair contract, insurance etc.

Here you will find more information about insurance, contract, safety and similar topics.

The au pair contract

You and your host family should clarify in advance what you expect from each other and sign a contract that includes your work schedule. The au pair contract is mandatory if you want to stay in the Netherlands as an au pair. A basic contract is provided by the agency arranging the placement.

Contract termination

The au pair contract remains valid for the entire duration of your au pair stay. However, you are allowed to terminate the contract before it expires if for example you and your host family do not get along. In this case, you must respect a 14-day notice period. This allows both the au pair and the host family to find a replacement and organise the return trip. However on serious grounds the au pair contract can also be terminated immediately without any period of notice.

(Health) Insurance

It is mandatory that you are subscribed to a medical insurance plan for the duration of your stay in the Netherlands. This obligatory health insurance is called basisverzekering. Dutch health insurance is available to all residents and provides general medical care by specialists and GPs, including hospital care, medication, rehabilitation, etc. The host family is responsible for the costs of your insurance. They must also take out au pair insurance  in your name including accident, civil liability, medical repatriation and baggage insurance. Examples of au pair insurance plans tailored to au pairs are the Young Global Traveler health insurance from the OOM insurance company and the ISIS Au pair insurance from the JoHo insurance provider.

Car driving and driving licence

Host families usually prefer to host an au pair with a driving licence. Alongside this, you should also have sufficient driving experience.

Since you will probably be expected to drive the car of your host family, issues of insurance and liability should be clarified in advance. Should any damages result from an accident, it should be clear beforehand who will have to bear the costs.

If you wish to drive in the Netherlands, you should first find out whether your driving licence is valid there.

If you come from outside the EU you are only allowed to drive for half a year in Netherlands with your foreign driving licence. After this time, you will need to either exchange your diriving licence or obtain a Dutch driving licence. For this, you need to take a written and practical exam. The written exam can be taken in English. Of course there are costs associated with the exams, which vary per driving school. We advise host families to pay for the costs of the Dutch driving licence of their au pair.

Be on the safe side

  • We strongly recommend you to discuss all important details concerning your au pair stay with your future host parents well in advance. On the following page you will find the most important questions you should ask your host family.

  • Have you already spoken with your host family to find out how well you get along with each other? Click on our Security section for more tips concerning your own safety. 

We are continually researching and updating our host country information, but cannot guarantee that all material provided is complete and correct. If you notice gaps or inaccuracies, we would like to hear from you.

Log in to AuPairWorld


Security question

If you forget your password, you must answer a security question correctly. Only then will it be possible to reset your password and regain access to your profile. Please select a question now and enter an answer for it.