Au pair in Japan

There is no au pair program in Japan. However, citizens of certain countries can apply for a Working Holiday Visa allowing them to take up employment as an au pair.

Accepted countries:

Australia, Canada, Denmark, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland, the Republic of Korea, New Zealand, Norway and the United Kingdom.

Age: 18-30 (For some countries the maximum age is 25 years. However, in exceptional cases applicants up to 30 years can be admitted by the Government of Japan). For more information please contact the Japanese embassy in your country. 

Duration of stay: 12 months
When entering Japan an initial stay of 6 months is granted. The Immigration Authorities in Japan may extend the visa for another 6 months.

General requirements:

Working Holiday Makers must:

  • not have dependent children
  • be in good health and not have a criminal record
  • possess a valid passport

Financial requirements: The au pairs must have sufficient funds (approx. 2000 euros) to support themselves at the beginning of their stay in Japan. The participant must also have a return ticket or sufficient funds to purchase one.

Language requirements: The ability to speak Japanese is desirable but not required.

Travel costs: The travel costs have to be paid by au pairs. If you as a host family want to bear a part of the costs, please do not do this until the au pair has successfully arrived and stayed with you for a part of the agreed time.

Health insurance: It is strongly recommended to take out private insurance to cover illness, injury or accident before going to Japan.

Working Holiday Visa:

The au pair needs to apply for the Working Holiday Visa at the nearest embassy or consulate of Japan. It is a single entry visa. If the participant has to leave Japan and wants to return, they will have to obtain a re-entry permit from the Immigration Authorities before leaving Japan.
Within 90 days of arrival in Japan the au pair must apply for alien registration at the nearest Local Government Office.

For further information about the the Working Holiday Program please check the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs where you can also find links to your local embassy.

We are continually researching and updating our host country information, but cannot guarantee that all material provided is complete and correct. If you notice gaps or inaccuracies, we would like to hear from you.

Log in to AuPairWorld


Security question

If you forget your password, you must answer a security question correctly. Only then will it be possible to reset your password and regain access to your profile. Please select a question now and enter an answer for it.