How to host an au pair from a non-EU state

This page provides you with information on hosting an au pair who is a citizens of a non-EU member state.

Is your au pair from an EU or EFTA member state? If so, different rules apply.

Register as a family

Is your au pair a New Zealander, an Australian or a Canadian citizen? Have a read of the information at the bottom of this page.

For au pair stays of 3 months or less - Apply for a tourist visa

Step 1: Applying for a tourist visa

If your au pair's stay in Italy does not exceed 90 days, they can enter Italy as a tourist. Find out if your au pair needs to apply for a tourist visa, and if so which documents they require, by looking at the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs' website. For cititzens of some countries, they may only require their passport to enter Italy.

Even if your au pair doesn't require a visa to enter Italy, you will still need to take out insurance for your au pair, to cover the costs of any possible hospitalisation or repatriation. You should find out from your local territorial health unit (ASL) whether or not you can register your au pair with the Italian National Health Service (SSN).

Step 2: "Host declaration" (dichiarazione di ospitalità) submission

Within 48 hours of your au pair's arrival, you should accompany him/her to the nearest police station to submit your "host declaration" (dichiarazione di ospitalità), which declares that the au pair will be living with your family for the duration of their stay.

For au pair stays longer than 3 months - Apply for a student visa

Important note: If your au pair comes from a non EU country and the au pair stay is going to last longer 90 days, the au pair could try to enter the country as a student. In order to get a student visa he/she must join an Italian course for at least 20 hours per week. We strongly advise you to clarify in advance with your au pair how many hours per week he/she is expected to work as it may be difficult for both of you to coordinate the au pair's working hours with their course schedule. Keep in mind that the immigration officials at the point of entry always have the right to refuse entry should they believe that the student is actually intending to work full time.

Step 1: Signing up to a course at an accredited language school

First of all you should help your au pair sign up to an Italian language course. Make sure to check that the establishment offering the course is on the list of approved schools which are recognised when applying for a student visa. The language course should be a minimum 20 hours per week.

Step 2: Visa application submission

To apply for a visa at their local Italian embassy or consulate, your au pair will require:

  • a certificate of enrolment on an Italian language course (issued by the language school on receipt of the total course fees)
  • their passport
  • proof of accommodation (a "host declaration" from the host family that the au pair will be living with them throughout their stay)
  • a statement of their health insurance
  • proof of sufficient means to support themself throughout your stay
  • proof of purchase, or the means to purchase flights to and from Italy

We recommend that your au pair checks with their local Italian embassy or consulate beforehand that no other documents are required, as their application will not be accepted until all the required documents are submitted. 

Warning! If your au pair's visa application is refused, it may be a case that the language school doesn't refund the full amount paid when enrolling on the course, due to administrative costs.
Step 3: Applying for a residence permit

Within 8 days of your au pair's arrival in Italy, you should accompany them to one of the following offices to submit their application for a residence permit.

  • the Municipality (Comune)
  • the Patronato
  • the Sportello Unico per l'immigrazione in your prefecture
  • the post office (to fill in the Kit form)

Your au pair will be required to submit the following:

  • the application form
  • their valid passport and entry visa
  • a copy of their passport and visa
  • 4 identical passport sized photos
  • a revenue stamp worth €16

Please consult the National Social Security Institute's website (INPS) for more information on the exact costs, and steps you are required to take.

Is your au pair from Australia, Canada or New Zealand?

If your au pair is from Australia, Canada or New Zealand, they can legally enter Italy with a Working Holiday Visa. We recommend that your au pair contacts their local Italian embassy or consulate for more information, and before applying for this visa.

Useful links:

We are continually researching and updating our host country information, but cannot guarantee that all material provided is complete and correct. If you notice gaps or inaccuracies, we would like to hear from you.

Log in to AuPairWorld


Security question

If you forget your password, you must answer a security question correctly. Only then will it be possible to reset your password and regain access to your profile. Please select a question now and enter an answer for it.