Au pair in Italy
Working Holiday Visa

Are you a New Zealander, an Australian or Canadian citizen wishing to au pair in Italy? Find out which steps you need to take to obtain a Working Holiday Visa here.

Step 1: Check whether you fulfil all the necessary requirements

The Working Holiday Visa is a bilateral agreement between Italy and Australia, Canada and New Zealand. The exact conditions of the programme vary from host country to host country, but in each case the following applies:

  • the Working Holiday Visa is issued for a duration of 12 months
    (Please note: you may only work 6 months in total and no more than 3 months with the same host family under this programme),
  • the number of allocated visas is limited*,
  • only those who are citizens and have residency in one of the member states may apply,
  • a Working Holiday Visa can only be applied for once in a lifetime,
  • you are required to take out health insurance.

*Note: if the number of Working Holiday Maker Visas has already been exceeded, you can also apply for a student visa.

Step 2: Apply for your Working Holiday Visa

Your visa application should be submitted to your local Italian embassy or consulate, where you will need the following documents:

  • the visa application form
  • your passport
  • a passport sized photo
  • proof of sufficient means to support yourself throughout your stay
  • a statement of your health insurance
  • proof of purchase, or the means to purchase flights to and from Italy
  • proof of having paid the relevant administrative fees
  • proof of accommodation (a "host declaration" from your host family stating that you will be living with them for the duration of your stay)

Make sure to check with your local Italian embassy or consulate beforehand that no other documents are required, as your application will not be accepted until all the required documents are submitted.

Warning! If your visa application is refused, it may be a case that visa application fees will not be refunded.

Step 3: Apply for your residence permit

Within 8 days of your arrival, you (accompanied by your host family) should go to the Immigration Office in your host family's prefecture, and submit the following documents:

  • the application form
  • 4 recent passport sized photos
  • a revenue stamp worth €16
  • your Working Holiday Visa (often attached to your passport)
  • a photocopy of your passport
  • a statement of your health insurance

Useful links:

We are continually researching and updating our host country information, but cannot guarantee that all material provided is complete and correct. If you notice gaps or inaccuracies, we would like to hear from you.

Log in to AuPairWorld


Security question

If you forget your password, you must answer a security question correctly. Only then will it be possible to reset your password and regain access to your profile. Please select a question now and enter an answer for it.