Information for au pairs from the EU

You are a citizen of an EU or EFTA state? Have you already done the Quick Check? Here you will find out everything about entry requirements for your host country. You can read what you have to take care of step by step.

Step 1: Make sure that you have a valid passport or ID-card

As an EU citizen, you only need a valid passport or identity card to enter Italy.

Are you are not a citizen from an EU or EFTA state? In this case, click here.

Step 2: Remind your host family to submit a "host declaration" (dichiarazione di ospitalità)

Within the first 48 hours of your arrival in Italy, your host family is required to submit a "host declaration" to the police station. This declares that you will be living with the family for the duration of your stay.

Step 3: Register at the town hall (anagrafe)

If you want to stay in Italy for longer than 3 months, you have to apply for the right to reside at your host family's nearest town hall. Proof of sufficient financial means to support yourself, for the duration of your stay, as well as valid health insurance are required for the application, after which (if your application is approved) you will receive a residency certificate, stating your name and host family's address.    

Step 4: Apply for a Tax ID Number (codice fiscale)

The Italian codice fiscale is a combination of letters and numbers, which contains confidential information (name, surname, sex, date and place of birth) and is used to identify all citizens.

If you intend to stay in Italy for more than 3 months, you must apply for a codice fiscale at the tax office (Agenzia delle Entrate). You must take your ID-card or passport with you (both the original and a photocopy) and your registration certificate (iscrizione anagrafica). You will be given a copy of your codice fiscale there and then, and your health insurance card (tesserino sanitario) will be sent to you in the post.

Step 5: Register with the national health service (SSN - Servizio Sanitario Nazionale)

If you intend to stay in Italy for more than 3 months, you must register with the national health service (SSN - Servizio Sanitario Nazionale). As an alternative, you can have a health insurance you have taken out either in Italy on in your home country covering you during your stay in Italy.

To register with the national health service, simply go to the local health authority of your host family (ASL - Azienda Sanitaria Localewhen in Italy. You will need your ID-card or passport, your registration certificate (iscrizione anagrafica) or self certification of your address in Italy (autocertificazione), and your Tax ID Number (codice fiscale).

We are continually researching and updating our host country information, but cannot guarantee that all material provided is complete and correct. If you notice gaps or inaccuracies, we would like to hear from you.

Log in to AuPairWorld


Security question

If you forget your password, you must answer a security question correctly. Only then will it be possible to reset your password and regain access to your profile. Please select a question now and enter an answer for it.