The au pair contract, insurance, driving licence etc.

All you need to know about safety: the au pair contract, health insurance, foreign driving licence, etc.

Register as a family

The au pair contract

You should sign a contract with your au pair, which should include detailed employment conditions, such as working hours, the exact amount of pocket money and the rights and duties of both contracting parties.

Unfortunately, there is no official au pair contract for Ireland. We therefore suggest that you download the au pair contract for the UK (the official European Au Pair contract) and modify it according to your needs.

Contract Termination

If you wish to terminate the au pair contract you have signed, you must give your au pair 2 weeks notice. Please consult your au pair contract to find out which rules apply in your case. This provides you with sufficient time to find a replacement. Furthermore, it gives you some time to organise your au pair's trip back home, or to help him/her find another host family. The contract termination should be done in writing.

Health Insurance for Au Pairs

Unfortunately, there are no official regulations in Ireland concerning the health insurance for au pairs.

If your au pair comes from the EU, he/she should find out, if his/her health insurance at home will also cover him/her throughout his/her stay in Ireland. Should this not be the case, your au pair will need to take out health insurance. In such cases we strongly advise you to bear at least part of the costs.

When applying for a visa, non-EEA nationals will need to provide a certificate of medical/travel insurance to cover any costs incurred in the event of an accident or illness while in Ireland. Thus, they will need to bear all the costs. However, we advise you as a host family to bear at least part of these costs.

Driving in Ireland

Issues of insurance and liability should be clarified well in advance. Should any damages result from an accident, it should be clear who pays for them.

Foreign driving licence:

1. Licences issued by an EU/ EEA member state are valid in Ireland without any restrictions.

2. Licences issued by a recognised state: Australia, Gibraltar, Guernsey, Isle of Man, Japan, Jersey, South Africa, South Korea, Switzerland

If your aupair's driving licence has been issued by one of these countries, he/she can drive during his/her visit to Ireland, provided that the licence is valid. From the date of registering as a resident in Ireland the au pair's licence is valid for one year. To be considered a resident, he/she must have been living in Ireland for at least 185 days of that calendar year.

3. If the au pair is not from any of the above mentioned countries and if he/she holds a national (or international) driving licence from his/her home country, it is possible to drive in Ireland for up to 12 months. If the au pair stays in Ireland for more than 12 months, he/she can apply for an Irish driving licence. However, they will need to go through the full drivers licensing procedure.

Should you have any further questions, please see Citizens Information in Ireland.

Be on the safe side:

  • We strongly recommend you to discuss all important details concerning the au pair placement with your future au pair well in advance. On the following page you will find some useful questions you should ask your au pair.

  • Have you already spoken on the phone to find out if you get along well with each other? Find out what else you can do for your safety on our Security page.

We are continually researching and updating our host country information, but cannot guarantee that all material provided is complete and correct. If you notice gaps or inaccuracies, we would like to hear from you.

Log in to AuPairWorld


Security question

If you forget your password, you must answer a security question correctly. Only then will it be possible to reset your password and regain access to your profile. Please select a question now and enter an answer for it.