How to host an au pair from a non-EU state

Au pairs from non-EU countries need a visa to be able to enter Ireland.

This page provides you with information on au pairs who are citizens of non-EU countries. Is your au pair a citizen of an EU or EFTA state? In this case, different rules apply.

Register as a family

Upon your au pair's arrival in Ireland, he/she will need to register with the local authorities. Please check this page to learn more about the local registration with the Garda and application for a PPS Number.

Working Holiday Maker programme in Ireland

Citizens of Argentina, Australia, Canada, Hong Kong, Japan, New Zealand, South Korea and Taiwan may apply for a Working Holiday visa. Please note that the number of visas is limited and that there are certain application periods in which the visa can be applied for. Furthermore, applicants must have sufficient funds to support themselves; at least during the initial part of their stay in Ireland.
 Please check the following website to read more about the Working Holiday Maker programme in Ireland.

Work & Travel programme in Ireland

US citizens can enter Ireland on a Work & Travel visa. Please note that, in order to qualify for the programme, participants should either be in post-secondary education or have recently graduated (i.e within the last 12 months). Furthermore, they will need to present an original bank statement showing that they have access to 1,500 € (or equivalent) plus a return ticket or 3,000 € (or equivalent). Please check the Department of Foreign Affairs website to find more detailed information on the Work & Travel programme in Ireland.

Student visa

Students from outside the EU / EFTA who attend a recognised full time study course of at least one full academic year may work up to 20 hours per week during term time and up to 40 hours per week during the academic summer and winter holidays. However, most host families wish their au pairs to work 30 hours per week.

Please clarify with your au pair in advance how many hours per week they are expected to work and what their individual work schedule will look like. A full time study course may make it difficult for both of you to coordinate the au pair's working hours with their course schedule. Keep in mind that the immigration officials at the point of entry always have the right to refuse entry should they believe that the student is in truth intending to work full-time.

For any further questions concerning the student visa for Ireland, kindly turn to the Irish authorities.

We are continually researching and updating our host country information, but cannot guarantee that all material provided is complete and correct. If you notice gaps or inaccuracies, we would like to hear from you.

Log in to AuPairWorld


Security question

If you forget your password, you must answer a security question correctly. Only then will it be possible to reset your password and regain access to your profile. Please select a question now and enter an answer for it.