Don't forget: the au pair contract, insurance etc.

Please read the following important information about insurance, the contract, safety and much more.

The au pair contract

Au pairs and host families should sign a contract together, which should include detailed employment conditions, such as working hours, the exact amount of pocket money and rights and duties of both contracting parties. The signed au pair contract will ensure fair working arrangements between you and your host family.

Unfortunately, there is no official au pair contract for Ireland. We therefore suggest that you download the au pair contract for the UK (the official European au pair contract) and modify it according to your needs.

Contract termination

If you wish to terminate your au pair contract, a minimum of two weeks' notice must be given. 

Health insurance

Unfortunately, there are no official regulations in Ireland concerning the health insurance for au pairs.

EU nationals should find out, if their health insurance from their home country covers them for the entirety of their stay in Ireland. If not, they should discuss whether their host family is willing to help them pay for their health insurance or at least bear some of the costs.

Non-EU nationals will need to provide a certificate of medical/travel insurance coverage to be able to apply for a visa. The insurance should cover any costs incurred in the event of an accident or illness during the au pair's stay in Ireland. The au pair pays for the insurance costs by himself/herself. However, it is recommended that they discuss whether their host family is willing to split the costs with them.

Driving in Ireland

As an au pair, you will most probably be driving the car of your host family. Issues of insurance and liability should be clarified in advance. Should any damages result from an accident, it should be clear who pays for them.

Foreign driving licence:

1. Licences issued by an EU/ EEA member state are valid in Ireland without any restrictions.

2. Licences issued by a recognised state: Australia, Gibraltar, Guernsey, Isle of Man, Japan, Jersey, South Africa, South Korea, Switzerland

If you have a driving licence issued by one of these countries, you can drive during your visit to Ireland, provided that your licence is valid. From the date of registering as a resident in Ireland your licence is valid for one year. To be considered a resident, you must have been living in Ireland for at least 185 days of that calendar year.

3. If you are not from any of the above countries but hold a national (or international) driving licence from your own country, you may drive in Ireland for up to 12 months. If you stay in Ireland for more than 12 months, you can apply for an Irish driving licence. However, you will need to go through the full drivers licensing procedure.

Should you have any further questions, please refer to the Citizens Information in Ireland.

Be on the safe side:

  • We strongly recommend you to discuss all important details concerning your au pair stay with your future host parents well in advance. On the following page you will find the most important questions you should ask your host family.

  • Have you already spoken to your host family on the phone to find out if you get along well with each other? Find out what else you can do for your safety in our Security section.

  • Having a good knowledge of the language spoken in your host country enables you to express your wants and needs from the start. Especially in case of illness, having some adequate vocabulary will certainly help you.

We are continually researching and updating our host country information, but cannot guarantee that all material provided is complete and correct. If you notice gaps or inaccuracies, we would like to hear from you.

Log in to AuPairWorld


Security question

If you forget your password, you must answer a security question correctly. Only then will it be possible to reset your password and regain access to your profile. Please select a question now and enter an answer for it.