The au pair contract, insurance, driving licence etc.

Here you will find some information about insurance, au pair contract, driving licence and safety.

Register as a family

The au pair contract

It is very important that you talk to your au pair about your mutual expectations in advance. Note down the most important aspects and include them in your contract. Thus, you can both avoid future disappointments. You can find more information and details about the framework conditions of the au pair placement on our page: Costs, working hours, time off etc.

Important note concerning non-EU au pairs:
Au pairs who need a visa for Germany are entitled to work here for a maximum of 12 months. The au pair contract must be signed for a minimum of 6 months, otherwise it will not be acknowledged by the German employment agency (Agentur für Arbeit). If the young person in question has worked as an au pair in Germany before, they may not become an au pair here again regardless of the length of their previous au pair placement.


The au pair placement ends with the date agreed upon. If one of the two parties cancels the contract prior to this date, this should be done in writing. In the standard contract, a notice period of 2 weeks is suggested. This provides you with sufficient time to find a new au pair. Furthermore, it gives you some time to organise your au pair's trip back home, or to help them find another host family. In the case of serious circumstances, the contract can be terminated with immediate effect.

Please read the following page to find more information on this topic:
Don't forget: the au pair contract, insurance etc.


Au pairs always need to observe the regulations of their host countries. According to the Federal Employment Agency (Bundesagentur für Arbeit), you as a host family must ensure that your au pair is covered by insurances in case of illness, pregnancy, childbirth and accident throughout their entire stay. As a host family, you also need to bear the costs. 

Your au pair comes from an EU country?

Au pairs from the EU should clarify with their health insurance company at home whether they are fully covered by their insurance during their stay in Germany. Should this be the case, you should nevertheless clarify whether the basic medical services provided in the au pair's home country correspond to those in Germany.

Do you have questions? Our insurance partner, Dr. Walter, can provide you with further information about au pair insurance.  

Please note: if the au pair's insurance from their home country is valid in the host country, generally only the costs for basic medical services are taken over. However, the standards of these services may differ depending on the host country and thus, the host family must bear the costs for the difference in medical services. Therefore, insurance experts advise to take out an au pair insurance.

Your au pair needs to apply for a visa?

Please take out an individual insurance for your au pair, if the boy or girl enters Germany on a visa. By signing the au pair contract and the invitation letter, you commit yourself to do so.

Our tip:

If you plan to host an au pair who needs to apply for a visa, you should consider taking out a personal liability insurance that should also include an insurance which covers the cost of deportation (Abschiebekostenversicherung). This insurance is especially important should you sign a letter of commitment (Verpflichtungserklärung) in order to employ your au pair.

Driving licence/Insurance

Would you prefer an au pair who holds a driving licence? If so, you need to take the following into consideration. Having a driving licence does not equally mean having good driving skills. Ask your au pair how much driving experience they already have. After all, they will be driving your children.

Should you put your car at the au pair's disposal, you need to be well-informed about liability and insurance. Clarify who pays for the damages that may result from an accident caused by the au pair.

Enquire whether or not the au pair's driving licence is valid in your country. They will probably need to apply for an international driving licence. Further information about this issue can be found on the website of the ADAC (German Safety Driving Centre) or the Federal Ministry of Transport and Digital Infrastructure.

How to be on the safe side

  • Have you already spoken to your future au pair on the phone or via skype? Read the most important questions to ask au pairs to get to know them before you make the final decision whom you want to host.
  • Would you like some tips on how to search safely on AuPairWorld? Maybe you already have an au pair but have questions about how to prepare for the stay? Read our tips on safety and security.
  • Does your au pair have sufficient knowledge of the German language? Naturally, they do not have to speak the language perfectly yet. Nevertheless, they should at least be capable of warning your children in their mother tongue from any kind of danger, such as a hotplate, etc.

We are continually researching and updating our host country information, but cannot guarantee that all material provided is complete and correct. If you notice gaps or inaccuracies, we would like to hear from you.

Log in to AuPairWorld


Security question

If you forget your password, you must answer a security question correctly. Only then will it be possible to reset your password and regain access to your profile. Please select a question now and enter an answer for it.