Au pair in Finland
The au pair contract, insurance, driving licence etc.

Make sure you have clarified everything with your au pair before embarking on the au pair adventure. Read this page to find more information on the au pair contract, insurance, tax etc.

Register as a family

The au pair contract

As a host family in Finland you should be sure to sign an a contract with your au pair. As there is no official au pair contract or cancellation period for the au pair stay in Finland, we recommend you adapt the European contract according to your requirements. Au pairs from non-EU countries will require a copy of this signed contract when applying for their Residence Permit. If there are serious disagreements between you and your au pair, the contract can be terminated with a notice period of two weeks.

Health and Accident Insurance

It is the responsibility of the host family to take out and cover the costs of health and accident insurance for their au pair.

Au pairs from countries of the EU/EFTA EFTA, Nordic countries, Australia and the Province of Quebec

If your au pair is publicly insured in their home country and has a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), there is no need for additional coverage in the Finnish health insurance system. The EHIC card allows the au pair to access public health care in the same way that Finnish citizens do. Important: Au pairs need to remember to check that their EHIC doesn't expire whilst they are abroad.

Au pairs who do not have a without a European Health Insurance Card need only to show a valid identity card indicating their nationality. Australia, the Province of Quebec and the Nordic countries have social security agreements with Finland entitling their residents to the same medical treatment and health insurance as Finnish residents. However, if it is possible to obtain an EHIC we do recommend getting one. Further information regarding insurance for au pairs from the EU in EU countries is available in our section "Au Pair A-Z".

Au pairs from non-EU countries (excluding Australia and the Province of Quebec)

Au pairs from any other country will have to take out insurance cover with Kela, Finland's Social Insurance Institution.


In Finland an au pair's pocket money, and board and lodging are seen as taxable income. The amount of tax paid (for which registration in the Population Information System is required) depends on the duration of the au pair stay and how long the au pair stays in Finland in total. Consult Vero (the Finnish Tax Administration) for more detailed information. Important: It is the host family's responsibility to inform the tax office that they are employing an au pair.

An au pair staying for 6 months or less pay a withholding tax of 35% of their monthly pocket money, which the host family will deduct from their pay at the end of each month. A Finnish tax-at-source card is needed for this.

Au pairs staying longer than 6 months qualify as Finnish tax residents, and pay the same amount of progressively calculated state tax, municipal (local) tax, and church tax as normal Finnish residents. An income tax return must also be filed to the Tax Administration for every calendar year that the au pair works in Finland.

Pension contributions

Au pairs in Finland, aged 18 and over, also have to take out pension insurance, which amounts to 24.2% of the au pair's gross salary (pocket money + board and lodging). Both the au pair and host family contribute towards this: the au pair pays 5.55% and host families pay the remaining 18.65%. Consult Etera (Finnish Pension Insurance Company) for more detailed information. 

Note: Despite tax payments and pension insurance contributions, au pairs still receive monthly pocket money in the amount of 280 Euros net.

Car driving and driving licence

Au pairs with driving licences issued in an EU or EFTA country or in one of the Nordic countries can legally drive in Finland during their au pair stay. This is also the case for au pairs with provisional licences from Nordic countries.

If the au pair's permanent place of residence is in a country that has signed the Geneva and Vienna Convention on Road Traffic, and the au pair has a national or international driving licence (with an official Finnish or Swedish translation of the licence) it is legal to drive in Finland.

Be on the safe side:

  • Have contact with your au pair as often as possible prior to the au pair stay. Talk about your mutual expectations via Skype or by telephone. Read the most important questions to ask au pairs to get to know them before you make the final decision whom you want to host.
  • Does your au pair have sufficient knowledge of your language? Of course, your au pair does not speak the language perfectly yet. Nevertheless, the au pair should at least be able to warn your children of any kind of danger that might occur in everyday life in a language that your children understand.
  • Would you like some tips on how to search safely on AuPairWorld? Maybe you already have an au pair but have questions about how to prepare for the stay? Read our tips on safety and security.

We are continually researching and updating our host country information, but cannot guarantee that all material provided is complete and correct. If you notice gaps or inaccuracies, we would like to hear from you.

Log in to AuPairWorld


Security question

If you forget your password, you must answer a security question correctly. Only then will it be possible to reset your password and regain access to your profile. Please select a question now and enter an answer for it.