Au pair in Finland
The most important information for host families

Find out what your family needs to do to host an au pair in Finland. 

Quick Check
Basic conditions
  • To host an au pair in Finland you must:

    • Have one or more children under 18 living in your household
    • Have a separate room available in your home for the au pair
    • Want to host the au pair for a maximum of one year who will help take care of your children and be available to help with light household chores 
    • Speak Finnish or Swedish in your daily family life
    • Not be related to the au pair and have a different nationality from your au pair
    • Be ready to help your au pair find a suitable language course that fits with the au pair duties

    If you fulfil these requirements, then register as a host family at AuPairWorld! You can find au pairs that fit your search criteria in your EasyFind.

  • Au pair duties

    Taking care of your family's children, along with doing some light household duties are all part of an au pair's duties, which you should set out with your au pair in the au pair contract


    Taking on an au pair increases your living costs, as another adult is living with your family while the au pair is there.

    Board and lodging

    In exchange for their help with your children and light housework, au pairs are entitled to free board and lodging (a separate room for the au pair) for the entire duration of their stay, including any periods of illness.

    Pocket money

    Au pairs in Finland receive monthly pocket money of at least 280 Euros net. Because the pocket money paid to the au pair is viewed in Finland as income, the au pair is obligated to pay taxes. In determining the income, the value of the cost-free board andlodging is also calculated. This must be kept in mind when setting the gross amount for pocket money. For further information, see our page Aupair contract, insurance driving licence, etc.

    Employer pension contributions

    Au pairs in Finland, aged 18 and over, also have to take out pension insurance, which amounts to 24.2% of the au pair's gross salary. Both the au pair and host family contribute towards this: the au pair pays 5.55% of this 24.2% and host families pay the remaining 18.65%. 

    Working hours

    An au pair in Finland is expected to work 30 hours a week and a maximum of 5 hours per day – including any evening babysitting duties. 

    Free time

    Au pairs are entitled to one full day off per week as part of their duties as an au pair. Once a month this day off must be on a Sunday. Au pairs should have sufficient time to attend a language course and be given the possibility to develop their cultural knowledge and professional capabilities.


    Finland has no specific regulations concerning the amount of holiday an au pair is entitled to. We therefore recommend that you and your au pair come to an agreement on this well in advance. Au pairs are usually entitled to a two-week holiday if they stay with their host families for six months in total. This can be used as a guide in calculating your au pair's holiday time. 

    In Finland, there are no official regulations with regard to public holidays for au pairs. We recommend that au pairs have a day off on public holidays. Only in exceptional cases au pairs should work on public holidays. The host family should discuss this with their au pair beforehand.

    Finnish/Swedish language course

    Au pairs must attend a Finnish or Swedish language course during their stay. Sufficient time for such a course should be included in the au pair's schedule and help should be provided in finding a suitable course.  

    Useful links for language courses:

  • The au pair contract

    As a host family in Finland you should be sure to sign an a contract with your au pair. As there is no official au pair contract or cancellation period for the au pair stay in Finland, we recommend you adapt the European contract according to your requirements. Au pairs from non-EU countries will require a copy of this signed contract when applying for their Residence Permit. If there are serious disagreements between you and your au pair, the contract can be terminated with a notice period of two weeks.

    Health and Accident Insurance

    It is the responsibility of the host family to take out and cover the costs of health and accident insurance for their au pair.

    Au pairs from countries of the EU/EFTA EFTA, Nordic countries, Australia and the Province of Quebec

    If your au pair is publicly insured in their home country and has a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), there is no need for additional coverage in the Finnish health insurance system. The EHIC card allows the au pair to access public health care in the same way that Finnish citizens do. Important: Au pairs need to remember to check that their EHIC doesn't expire whilst they are abroad.

    Au pairs who do not have a without a European Health Insurance Card need only to show a valid identity card indicating their nationality. Australia, the Province of Quebec and the Nordic countries have social security agreements with Finland entitling their residents to the same medical treatment and health insurance as Finnish residents. However, if it is possible to obtain an EHIC we do recommend getting one. Further information regarding insurance for au pairs from the EU in EU countries is available in our section "Au Pair A-Z".

    Au pairs from non-EU countries (excluding Australia and the Province of Quebec)

    Au pairs from any other country will have to take out insurance cover with Kela, Finland's Social Insurance Institution.


    In Finland an au pair's pocket money, and board and lodging are seen as taxable income. The amount of tax paid (for which registration in the Population Information System is required) depends on the duration of the au pair stay and how long the au pair stays in Finland in total. Consult Vero (the Finnish Tax Administration) for more detailed information. Important: It is the host family's responsibility to inform the tax office that they are employing an au pair.

    An au pair staying for 6 months or less pay a withholding tax of 35% of their monthly pocket money, which the host family will deduct from their pay at the end of each month. A Finnish tax-at-source card is needed for this.

    Au pairs staying longer than 6 months qualify as Finnish tax residents, and pay the same amount of progressively calculated state tax, municipal (local) tax, and church tax as normal Finnish residents. An income tax return must also be filed to the Tax Administration for every calendar year that the au pair works in Finland.

    Pension contributions

    Au pairs in Finland, aged 18 and over, also have to take out pension insurance, which amounts to 24.2% of the au pair's gross salary (pocket money + board and lodging). Both the au pair and host family contribute towards this: the au pair pays 5.55% and host families pay the remaining 18.65%. Consult Etera (Finnish Pension Insurance Company) for more detailed information. 

    Note: Despite tax payments and pension insurance contributions, au pairs still receive monthly pocket money in the amount of 280 Euros net.

    Car driving and driving licence

    Au pairs with driving licences issued in an EU or EFTA country or in one of the Nordic countries can legally drive in Finland during their au pair stay. This is also the case for au pairs with provisional licences from Nordic countries.

    If the au pair's permanent place of residence is in a country that has signed the Geneva and Vienna Convention on Road Traffic, and the au pair has a national or international driving licence (with an official Finnish or Swedish translation of the licence) it is legal to drive in Finland.

    Be on the safe side:

    • Have contact with your au pair as often as possible prior to the au pair stay. Talk about your mutual expectations via Skype or by telephone. Read the most important questions to ask au pairs to get to know them before you make the final decision whom you want to host.
    • Does your au pair have sufficient knowledge of your language? Of course, your au pair does not speak the language perfectly yet. Nevertheless, the au pair should at least be able to warn your children of any kind of danger that might occur in everyday life in a language that your children understand.
    • Would you like some tips on how to search safely on AuPairWorld? Maybe you already have an au pair but have questions about how to prepare for the stay? Read our tips on safety and security.
  • Before entering Finland

    Ensure your au pair completes the following checklist before leaving their home country:

    • Obtain a health certificate issued no more than 3 months before departure
    • Provide proof of any previously acquired Finnish/Swedish language skills, a statement of interest in the Finnish culture (for example certificates from any relevant studies in history or politics)
    • Enrol on a language course, which should fit around the au pairing schedule, and ensure they receive a certificate of enrolment before leaving their home country
    • Draft and sign an au pair contract with your au pair, including details on duties, working hours, pocket money, holiday entitlements etc.
    • Check that the au pair's passport is valid, and will stay valid for the entire duration of the au pair stay

    For au pairs who are EU/EFTA citizens and citizens of Nordic countries, completing the above steps is all you need to do to be able to enter Finland as an au pair.

    Non-EU Citizens - Apply for a Residence Permit Card before entering Finland Citizens from Australia and New Zealand - Apply for a Working Holiday Residence Permit

    Before entering Finland a Residence Permit Card (the equivalent of a visa to enter Finland) must be applied for and received through the Finnish Embassy in the au pair's country of origin. All the documents mentioned above will be required when applying, plus proof of  secure income (i.e., confirmation that the au pair you will receive 280 Euros monthly pocket money). 

    A paper application costs 455 Euros, or 425 Euros if done electronically. Discuss with your au pair how these costs will be covered. It is only granted for one year at most and cannot be extended.

    Under the Working Holiday Maker Programme au pairs from Australia and New Zealand can apply for a Working Holiday Residence Permit, so long as they haven't been granted one before. Au pairs must apply for this before entering Finland and if their application is accepted it entitles them to stay in Finland for 12-18 months. The application costs 455 Euros (paper), or 425 Euros if done electronically, and all the documents specified above will be required, plus proof of secure income (i.e., confirmation that the au pair will receive 280 Euros monthly pocket money).

    After entering Finland

    Citizens from EFTA/Nordic Countries and the EU
    Au pairs who are a citizen in one of these countries do not need to apply for a Residence Permit, as their passport/valid ID grants them access to Finland. However...
        - EU & EFTA citizens must register their stay with the local police department within 3 months of arriving in the country 
        - Citizens of Nordic countries must fill in an “Inter Nordic migration“ form at the local registry office (Maistraatti) if they stay longer than 6 months. 

    Register in the Population Information System
    Upon arrival in Finland all au pairs must register in the Population Information System at their local register office (Maistraatti) to get an ID number which is required for a variety of situations such as registering at the tax office, the doctors and opening a bank account. (Note: this is different to the biometric residence permit card which is only required for non-EU citizens.)

    For au pairs staying 6 months or less
    Obtain a Finnish tax-at-source card via a paper application or online. 

    For au pairs staying in Finland longer than 6 months
    They must apply for a Finnish tax card at the Local Registry Office (Maistraatti).

    Useful links:

We are continually researching and updating our host country information, but cannot guarantee that all material provided is complete and correct. If you notice gaps or inaccuracies, we would like to hear from you.

Log in to AuPairWorld


Security question

If you forget your password, you must answer a security question correctly. Only then will it be possible to reset your password and regain access to your profile. Please select a question now and enter an answer for it.