Au pair in Finland
What do I need to become an au pair in Finland?

The official requirements for being an au pair in Finland vary depending on what country you come from. Find out which regulations apply for you here. 

Before entering Finland

These documents are required for all au pairs before entering Finland:

  • A health certificate issued no more than 3 months before your departure.
  • Proof of previously acquired Finnish/Swedish language skills or interest in Finnish or Swedish culture – either a certificate showing basic knowledge of Finnish or Swedish language or a certification showing study of Swedish or Finnish culture, history or politics. 
  • Confirmation of registration in a Swedish or Finnish language course that will fit with your au pairing schedule. Some au pairs will need this registration confirmation to apply for a residence permit.
  • A copy of the au pair contract agreed with your host family in which your duties, working hours, pocket money and holiday entitlements are specified. 
  • A passport or personal identity card that is valid for the duration of your au pair stay and allows your entry into Finland. 

For au pairs who are EU/EFTA citizens and citizens of Nordic countries, completing the above steps is all you need to do to be able to enter Finland as an au pair.

Non-EU Citizens - Apply for a Residence Permit Card before entering Finland

Before entering Finland a Residence Permit Card (the equivalent of a visa to enter Finland) must be applied for and received through the Finnish Embassy or Consulate in your country of origin. All the documents listed above will be required when applying, plus proof of secure income (i.e., confirmation that as an au pair you will receive 280 Euros monthly pocket money).

 A paper application costs 550 Euros, or 350 Euros if done electronically. Discuss with your host family how these costs will be covered. The residence permit is granted for a maximum of one year and cannot be extended.

Citizens of Australia and New Zealand - Apply for a Working Holiday Residence Permit

Under the Working Holiday Maker Programme, au pairs from Australia and New Zealand can apply for a Working Holiday Residence Permit, provided they haven't been granted one before. Au pairs must apply for this before entering Finland. If their application is accepted, it entitles them to stay in Finland for 12-18 months. The application costs 470 Euros (paper), or 400 Euros if done electronically. All the documents listed above will be required, plus proof of secure income (i.e., confirmation that you will receive 280 Euros monthly pocket money as an au pair).

After entering Finland

Citizens from EFTA/Nordic Countries and the EU
There is no need to apply for a Residence Permit  Card if you are a citizen of one of these countries, as your passport/valid ID grants you access to Finland. However:
    - EU & EFTA citizens must register their stay with the local police department within 3 months of arriving in the country 
    - Citizens of Nordic countries must fill in an “Inter Nordic migration“ form at the local registry office (Maistraatti) if they stay longer than 6 months. 

All au pairs - Register in the Population Information System
Upon arrival in Finland all au pairs must register in the Population Information System at their local registery office (Maistraatti) to get an ID number which is required for a variety of situations, such as registering at the tax office, the doctors and opening a bank account. Find the registration form here. (Note: this is different to the biometric residence permit card which is only required for non-EU citizens.)

For au pairs staying 6 months or less
Obtain a Finnish tax-at-source card via a paper application or online. 

For au pairs staying in Finland longer than 6 months
You must apply for a Finnish tax card at your Local Registry Office (Maistraatti).

Useful links:

We are continually researching and updating our host country information, but cannot guarantee that all material provided is complete and correct. If you notice gaps or inaccuracies, we would like to hear from you.

Log in to AuPairWorld


Security question

If you forget your password, you must answer a security question correctly. Only then will it be possible to reset your password and regain access to your profile. Please select a question now and enter an answer for it.