Au pair in Finland
Don't forget: the au pair contract, insurance, etc.

Do you have health insurance as an au pair in Finland? Is your driving licence valid there? You can find the answers to these and other important questions here.

The au pair contract

As an au pair in Finland you should be sure to sign an au pair contract with your family. As there is no official au pair contract or cancellation period for the au pair stay in Finland, you can adapt the European contract according to your requirements. Au pairs from countries outside the EU and EFTA will require a copy of this signed contract when applying for a Residence Permit. If there are serious disagreements between you and your host family, the contract can be terminated with a notice period of two weeks.

Health and accident insurance

It is the responsibility of the host family to take out and cover the costs of health and accident insurance for their au pair.

Au pairs from countries of the EU/EFTA EFTA

Au pairs from EU and EFTA countries who are publicly insured in their home countries and have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) don't need to arrange additional health insurance in Finland.The EHIC allows you to access public health care services the same way that Finnish citizens do. Important: Remember to check that your EHIC doesn't expire whilst you are abroad.

Au pairs from Nordic countries, Australia and the Province of Quebec

Au pairs from Australia, the Province of Quebec and the Nordic countries who do not have a European Health Insurance Card, need only have a valid national identity card or passport showing their nationality in order to receive healthcare services, Residents of these countries benefit from social service agreements entitling their residents to the same medical treatment and health insurance as Finnish residents. 

Au pairs from non-EU countries (excluding Australia and the Province of Quebec)

Au pairs from any other country will have to take out insurance cover with Kela, Finland's Social Insurance Institution.


In Finland an au pair's pocket money, and board and lodging is seen as taxable income. The amount of tax paid depends on the duration of the au pair stay and on the au pair's total length of stay in Finland. Consult Vero (Finnish Tax Administration) for more detailed information.

Pension contributions

Au pairs in Finland, aged 18 and over, also have to take out pension insurance, which amounts to 24.2% of the au pair's gross salary (pocket money + board and lodging). Both the au pair and host family contribute towards this payment: the au pair pays 5.55% and host families pay 18.65%. Consult Etera (Finnish Pension Insurance Company) for more detailed information. 

Note: Despite tax payments and pension insurance contributions, au pairs still receive monthly pocket money in the amount of 280 Euros net.

Car driving and driving licence

Au pairs with driving licences issued in an EU or EFTA country or in one of the Nordic countries can legally drive in Finland during their au pair stay. This is also the case for au pairs with provisional licences from Nordic countries.

If your permanent place of residence is in a country that has signed the Geneva and Vienna Convention on Road Traffic, and you have a national or international driving licence (with anofficial Finnish or Swedish translation of the licence) you are also entitled to drive in Finland.

Even if your driving licence is valid it is worth clarifying with your host family beforehand if you will be expected to drive a car and if so how often, so that you know if you have enough driving experience or not. Discuss the following questions too: what happens in case of an accident? Who pays for the damage? It is recommended to set out your agreement in writing.

Be on the safe side:

  • Have frequent contact with your host family before your au pair stay begins. Talk about your mutual expectations via Skype or on the telephone to get to know your host family. Read the most important questions to ask your host family to avoid later misundertandings or disappointments.
  • Is your knowledge of Finnish or Swedish sufficient and do you feel ready to communicate with your host family? Of course, you don't speak the language perfectly yet. Nevertheless, you should at least be able to warn the children of any kind of danger or call a doctor in an emergency. And you should be able to express your own needs.
  • Would you like some tips on how to search safely on AuPairWorld? Maybe you already have a family but have questions about how to prepare for your stay? Read our tips on safety and security.

We are continually researching and updating our host country information, but cannot guarantee that all material provided is complete and correct. If you notice gaps or inaccuracies, we would like to hear from you.

Log in to AuPairWorld


Security question

If you forget your password, you must answer a security question correctly. Only then will it be possible to reset your password and regain access to your profile. Please select a question now and enter an answer for it.