Quick Check for au pairs

Do you want to live with a host family in Canada and look after their children, whilst learning more about the Canadian culture and language? Do the Quick Check to find out if you are eligible to become an au pair in Canada.

In Canada, there is no official au pair programme. However, young people from certain countries may apply for a Working Holiday visa to work in Canada.

Do you fulfil the prerequisites to apply for a Working Holiday visa?
Are you at least 18 and no more than 30 years old?

Are you a citizen of Australia, Austria*, Belgium, Chile, Costa Rica, Croatia, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Japan, South Korea, Latvia, Lithuania, Mexico**, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Taiwan, Ukraine** or Great Britain?

Are you single and without children?
Do you have a basic knowledge of English or French?                                         
Do you have sufficient funds (for most countries: 2,500 CAD***) and a return ticket?
Are you applying for a Working Holiday Maker visa for Canada for the first time in your life?

*Austria: Young people from Austria can also apply for a visa with the Student Work Abroad Programme if they meet all the requirements.

**Mexico and Ukraine: The Youth Mobility Arrangement between Canada and these two countries is not accepting applicants at the moment. We will keep you updated.

***Go to step 2 on the Working Holiday Maker page and click on your country of origin to find out more about the amount of money you need to have at your disposal to apply for your visa.


Have you answered all questions with "Yes"? Then, off you go! Canada is waiting for you!

Have you answered one or more questions with "No"? In this case, unfortunately you lack one or more important prerequisites needed to become an au pair in Canada. Our tip: Think about an au pair placement in another great host country.

If you do not fulfil all requirements for the Working Holiday Maker visa, the Live-In Caregiver visa may be an alternative for you.

We are continually researching and updating our host country information, but cannot guarantee that all material provided is complete and correct. If you notice gaps or inaccuracies, we would like to hear from you.

Log in to AuPairWorld


Security question

If you forget your password, you must answer a security question correctly. Only then will it be possible to reset your password and regain access to your profile. Please select a question now and enter an answer for it.